Breast Cancer Expert Forum
re excisional breast biopsy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

re excisional breast biopsy
My 16 y/o daughter is having excisional biopsy of 2.2 cm lump lateral to nipple L breast.  Is periareola incision most common?  What are chance of sensation loss permanently?
Dear deg2, A periareolar incision is used to in order to achieve a good cosmetic result.  Regarding loss of sensation discuss this with your daughter's surgeon.
Tell your daughter good luck! I am 23 and have to have relatively close to the same operation and I am scared to death. If she has gone through her procedure already, would she be willing to help out with what to expect? I would be most grateful. Thank you and good luck with everything.

Sincerely,
Angel
I had this same incision for biopsy and re-excision.  It is very good cosmetic result.  Not all breast tumors can have such a discreet scar.  First time I had very little nipple response. Plenty of "aches" as tissue heals, so keep the advil handy!

Before second surgery I asked the doctor if I would totally lose sensation because of twice being cut.  He told me it was possible that some would not return.  However in second recovery now I notice a lot more response from the nipple. The doctor also does vascular surgery, so I may have tweaked his ego when he saw how "flat" things were after the first surgery.

You both will find great cosmetics from this incision.  Have no fear!