Breast Cancer Community
reconstruction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

reconstruction

I have had breast inplants reconstruction. Still in alot muscluar pain. I'm looking at doing some kind of flap. If I have been a smoker in the pass. Can I still have some form of breast reconstruction flap.
I have  had 3 rounds of reconstruction with a tissue expander. In June I had a Latimus Dorsi Flap. I am a smoker even though I did quit for the surgery. I have had no complication. I did have to have an implant put in, I am fairly large breasted. I don't see why you would not be a canidate for this type of surgery. Quiting smoking is a top priority.
i'm 34 years old.big breast.will have prophylactic right breast mastectomy and left breast mastectomy for DCIS and s/p lumpectomy that wasn't able to clear margins.pls...please... hope you can respond to this.thank you very much.
hope you can enlighten me.how's the recontruction?i'm going to have bilateral mastectomy with insertion of tissue expanders the will have silicone implant.pls..please hope you will be able to respond to this.
I had started my reconstrution right after my mastectomy. I have a very physical job and went back to work in less than six weeks. I fought an infection for a month and the incision came open and the expander was exposed. Had to have it removed. Nine months later had it put back in  the same thing happened again. Waited one year, took a leave of absence from my job. I had no healthy tissue left so I had the flap surgery,(skin muscle and tissue from the back.) My recovery took longer because of the exstensive surgery.I had silicone implant put in Sept. and reduction on my left. Everything is great, but I think I have scar tissue around the implant. My Plastic surgeon is not concerned she has to do a lift on that side and will check it out at that time. I believe reconstruction is up to the individual. I personally wanted it and tried everything to make it a sucess. It does take time and patience,but it is worth it. I took 6 months off so I will be able to go back to work healed.
I had breast renconstruction done at the time of my bilateral mastectomy.  I did'nt have any trouble with the tissue expanders.  My trouble begin when they put in saline implants.  I have really bad chest pain, it some times feel like someone sitting on my chest, and my chest muscle is so tight that I have to eat muscle relaxers like candy. Which I don't like to because it cause so much fatigue.  I believe that it's the  chest  muscle that will not except this foreign object in my body.    Now my doctor has'nt told me this for sure. But  I have found no doctor will tell you for sure about anything.  My doctor has told me this could happen but I have been unable to find anyone that is having the same problem. Now I don't want to scare you about reconstruction because my doctor has told me this is very rare.  So now I'm looking into a flap or my other option is to have them taking out.  But my doctor can't tell me if this will take care of my pain I have a feeling that maybe the muscle has been damage.  I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do anymore.  I wish the very best for you. Let me know if I helped or can help in any other way.  
Have you asked about surrounding scar tissue? I think it is called an implant Capsular. It is where the implant gets a lot of scar tissue and the breast becomes very tight and it quite uncomfortable. After the impant is put in the tissue forms its only pocket around it which protects the implant. There is info on line under breast implants (complications). I would read up on it and see if you have any of those signs. You may have to have them taken out and scar tissue removes. I don't think the muscles are damage they may have be irritated from pressure from the implant.  The flap surgery in great as long as you know it takes a long recooperation and you need to have enough removed from the area to supply a full breast. I still had to have an implant to comform to my bodt. Make sure you have a surgeon who knows what they are doing, Get pics from other surgeries that have been preformed so you know what the work is like. Hope this helps. Thanks for the support it is nice to know there are people out there who care.
One more thing. Saline implants tend to be much harder and not as soft as silicone. I have a friend that had them and she said she had no jiggle in her breast. I haven't had any discomfort with mine.
Thanks for you input.  But I have already had a implant Capular or whatever you call it.  So my Doctor says that not the problem. But thanks for your info about looking online I didn't think of that.   And I have also wonder  about silicone if it would be as heavy or hard feeling.  I may look into that first before having a flap done.  That sounds like it would be a very hard surgery. Now which kind of implants  did you and your friend have.  Well thanks for talking to me HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a silicone implant and I can't tell the difference weight wise. The Saline tend to feel heavier. they are liquid verses gel in silicome