Breast Cancer Expert Forum
recurrence of breast cancer

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

recurrence of breast cancer

Had Bilateral Prophylactic Mastectomy 11 months ago. Left breast had Cancer. Having problems with left breast being sore. Went to see surgeon. Recommendation ultrasound. Ultrasound revealed benign finding. Recommendatin surgical consultation & MRI. I don't understand why I need an MRI if whatever they see is benign. Where would the benign finding be? under my implant, on my side. Do they suspect recurrence of breast cancer? Just find out the women's center I went to performed the ultrasound there recommendation was surgical consultation & MRI. Just got off the phone with my surgeon & he doesn't feel the MRI is necessary. Completely confussed!!
Dear kimbie:  MRI is sometimes used in conjunction with other testing to provide additional information that will help the radiologist.  Because you went to the surgeon initially, you have had a surgical consultation.  You may want to contact your surgeon and explain your confusion and see if he can answer your questions.  Without reviewing the ultrasound and doing an examination, we cannot speculate on what our recommendations would be.  
I also have BC with double masectomy and reconstruction.  I have MRI's to watch spots that they feel are not cancer.  I do not mind having them because it makes me feel better checking out things.  I agree that you need to talk with your doctor.  I have been trying to get more involved.  My doctors have been showing me the ultasound, MRI and PET scan results - they point out what they question.  You might try to go back and talk with him and look at what they are questioning.  I really believe that you need to know just as much as what is happening as your team of doctors.
You might also ask why he thinks it's not cancer.  Is it a clear cysts (not cancer) or a solid lump (could be cancer).  You might also ask if this spot is pre-cancerous?  Could it turn into cancer?  Do you need other tests, PET scan is a good but expensive tests that shows hot spots (cancer or infections) that might also help in understanding your body.  Be prepared with questions and talk with both groups that you seen.  
Good luck.