recurring intraductal papillomas
Ref intraductal papillomas: I had surgery 18 months ago to remove a central duct and a papilloma, because the nipple discharge contained "inflammatory cells and microphages". All was well after the surgery. This weekend,a day before my period (exactly like previous event) -  I woke up with the familiar coffee-like stain on the sheets, the size of a dinner plate -- so I probably have another duct issue, this is the same breast. I was very surprised--thought this was a "one off" issue, not something I might have again and prone to recurrence. I had a great surgeon but we never talked about this possible happening again - I know that sounds ridiculous, but I did consider it a one time event. So...is this considered a type of breast disease? Does the formation of these papillomas mean I am at higher risk for other breast diseases such as cancer? I am a very healthy, active 43 year old in excellent shape with no other major health issues. I do have several cysts in both breasts developed in recent years that I've learned to live with, come and go with periods and increase/decrease of caffeine. Also had an ovarian cyst last year for the first time - didn't know I had it and it collapsed mid flight across the Atlantic, that was "fun". Anyhow, history of breast cancer in my family-- (maternal grandmother in her early 70s and maternal aunt in her early 60s - both successful mastectomies). Should I have the test to see if I am genetically predisposed to developing breast cancer, or is that only for immediate family members? My mom has not had the test (maybe she should??)  Any advice is helpful at this point - thanks!  
They can definitely recur and can be multiple in number in the first place. They are benign and carry no increased risk unless they are associated with Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia which does increase one's risk of future development of BC. As far as genetic testing goes ... usually this is done only when someone rather young is diagnosed with BC and then any daughters would need much earlier than usual monitoring. You are at the age of regular monitoring (mammograms yearly) so I don't see the value of it since you have a benign condition. I doubt you would qualify for Ins. coverage and it runs around $3000. Familial breast cancer though an increased risk only accounts for 5 - 10% of breast cancer cases. Maybe this one will be the last one .... hopefully.    Regards ....