Breast Cancer Expert Forum
red area on breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

red area on breast

A few months ago I noticed a red area on my breast.  It did not look like a rash (wasn't raised or bumpy).  It just looked like my skin was redder in that area.  It is about an inch in diameter.  I kinda forgot about it.  Now a couple of weeks ago I felt a lump close to the area, so I went in to Dr.  He sent me for a mammagram which came back negative for anything unusual.  To be on the safe side I am having a biopsy done in 9 days, that was the soonest I could get into the surgeon.  Anyway, now yesterday I remembered the red area again and started to panic about IBC.  The red area is the only symptom of it that I have, besides the lump that is.  My breast isn't swollen, no inverted nipple, etc.  But the area is there.  It did seem to get lighter after I put some hydrocorisone cream on it.  Then this morning it was redder again.  My question is, if it is IBC would the color get lighter, or would it just keep getting darker?  I am worrying myself sick about this and my apt. can't come soon enough. Thanks
Dear maggie00, Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC) is a rare type of breast cancer accounts for only 1 to 4 percent of all breast cancers.  It is called inflammatory because the symptoms are usually a redness and warmth in the skin of the breast, often without a distinct lump. In the classic definition of inflammatory breast cancer, cancer cells are seen in the lymph channels under the skin.  Confirmation of a diagnosis of IBC is done through biopsy.  IBC may be thought to be an infection (similar signs and symptoms) and when treated with antibiotics there is no improvement in symptoms.   A reddened area could mean many things; the skin on the breast is like skin anywhere on the body and can be susceptible to many types of irritations.