Breast Cancer Community
red bump on areola

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

red bump on areola

I'm 23 yrs old and I am currently exclusively breastfeeding my 7 month old. I noticed about a week ago that I had a small (half the size of a pea) slightly red bump on my right areola. I seemed to notice it mainly after I got out of the shower and I was cold. I noticed it would kinda stick out, it seemed like it was hard but not painful to the touch or anything. When I went to actually feel the bump last night to see how hard it actually was, before I barely squeezed it or anything a watery pus came out. Was this just a pimple type thing I had? It never hurt and there wasn't a head or anything on it like pimples you get on your face etc. Thanks for your help!  
1 Comment
Hi there.

It is common for nursing moms to develop these problems with the nipples and areola since the suckling of the baby can cause trauma to the nipple and cause some skin cracks.  This would make the are prone to infections, pretty much similar to what you have experienced.

Also, the nipples and areola have sweat glands and other glands similar to what is found in the other areas of ths skin, and the same mechanism for pimple and comedone formation holds.

It is best that you keep the nipples clean with water and non-comedogenic soap after nursing your baby.

Regards.