Breast Cancer Expert Forum
red bump on breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

red bump on breast

I am a 47 year old female. I have regular mamograms (last August was last one) and overall check ups. No problems thus far. I have a small red mark on my right breast about 1.5 inches away from my nipple aereola area. It is round - about the size of a small nail head. It is quite innocuous, no pain, itching or discharge.  It seems to have gotten a bit lighter and a very tiny thin layer of skin peeled off of it one day after my shower. At first I didn't think much of it, but it has been over a month and is still there. I haven't picked at it or used anything on it. I happened to be a the doc's office (fam. prac.) with my daughter last week and showed it to him. He said it looked very superficial, saying breast skin can have the same skin issues as the rest of the body and that it didn't look alarming and that skin things sometimes take awhile to resolve but gave me the usual advice -- get it checked if it gets worse or doesn't resolve. I am somewhat fair, very fair breasts, skin somewhat reactive, moles, freckles, but at the same time tan easily. Anyway, it feels like it's just on the surface, no hard underlying lump. It reminds me a lot of 3 similar looking red bumps I have elsewhere on my body. Two on my lower leg and one on my lower back. They all appeared during adulthood (not recently)and seem permanent now, never went away. Am I just freaking because this is on my breast? It doesn't look like a pimple, but more like a minor insect bite. I checked your site and noticed a mention of IBC starting out looking like a flea bite. Of course, now, I'm worried. Advice
Dear sal gal:  Inflammatory breast cancer usually presents as a
red, hot, swollen breast (not usually as small as a flea bite).  The breast, being skin, is subject to skin problems as any other skin on your body. If this does not go away, gets worse, or if you are concerned, you can see a dermatologist or even a breast specialist, if for no other reason than your
peace of mind.  
1 Comment
A related discussion, red spot was started.