Breast Cancer Expert Forum
redness and swelling of post lumpectomy breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

It has been 4 weeks since my lumpectomy.  The breast continues to be red and slightly swollen and minimally painful.Some lymph nodes  were removed.  The red appearance changes in degree all day, with the slightest degree present on arising in the morning.  Is this normal?  Of course, I cannot be "computed" for radiation treatment until the swelling disappears.  What about the redness?  Have no temperature and otherwise feel fine.  The drain was removed from the breast 2 weeks after the operation.
Dear Veritas, You should continue to notice improvement with swelling and redness.  Usually radiation therapy does not start till 4-6 weeks after the surgery in order to give time to heal from the surgery.  If you develop a fever, drainage or worsening of the redness or swelling make sure your surgeon is aware.
1 Comment
A related discussion, mastectomy or lumpectomy was started.