Breast Cancer Expert Forum
repeat mammogram in six months

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

repeat mammogram in six months
The radiologist' report on my recent mammogram recommended a repeat mammogram for follow up in six months.  My gynecologist said the mammogram showed a probable enlarged lymph node at the outer edge of the right breast, which appears to have increased in size. A techician commented that it wasn't something to worry about, not a big deal. How does one know whether to immediately seek a second opinion or to wait the six months and see what the follow up shows?
Dear ginatwo, An enlarged lymph node could be due to many things such as infection for example.  Discuss this with your doctor in connection with your overall history and physical exam rather than relying on the technician's comment. Based on this discussion then decide whether you feel comfortable waiting or seeking a second opinion.
My dear, I shall strongly feel you to seek an immediate second opinion from a Specialist. Best Wishes/ Afroza
TJC
I was also told to repeat in 6 months.  At six months the lump was still present so they told me to repeat in another 6 months.  Last week I sought a second opinion at a breast health center.  Apparently the tech. read the mamogram wrong and the lump is a tumor under my armpit.  I'm having a biopsy tomorrow.  I highly recommend that you trust your instincts and get a second opinion from a breast specialist.
Thank you all for responding.  I have scheduled an appointment with a specialist.