Breast Cancer Expert Forum
scaly nipple

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

scaly nipple

Hello.
I just saw a program about breasts and cancer and there it was said that scaly nipples might be a sign of breast cancer. Both of my nipples are extremely sensitive and and are scaling/ has dry skin. They have been like this for as long as I can remember and even though it makes me feel a little selfconcious I've never given it much thought. My mother had breastcancer and I check my breasts for lumps regularely. Is there any reason for me to worry, should I go to a doctor with this?

Thank you for your help.
Dear Elidi:  Skin on the breast (and nipple) is like skin anywhere else and is subject to a variety of abnormalities, including dry skin.  Breast cancer that presents with scaling of the nipple is called pagets disease and is generally more obvious than dryness and flaking. Often the scaling involves sores and bleeding that does not go away.  It is usually on only one breast.  Having bilateral nipple scaling and dryness for many years makes it very unlikely that there is anything more serious going on.  However, if you are concerned, you can have your doctor evaluate.  
Hello. A Patient lump in  Brest.And they feel pain .If there is a lump on the outside of her breast is it anything serious?
Is it possible for any cancer cells to exit a cyst from a needle biopsy hole?
And needle  biopsy is very important her or other blood test