Breast Cancer Expert Forum
scattered microcalcifications

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

scattered microcalcifications

I'm 43 and have had regular mammograms for the past 3 years.  I have always had normal (BIRAD1) results.  This year, my results say that I am a BIRAD2 and have scattered microcalcifications in one breast.  The only recommendation is to come back in 1 year for regular mammogram.  I have no reason not to trust the facility, but am a little bit nervous regardless.  Any advice would be welcome.
Dear nervous7:  Microcalcifications are small calcium deposits found within the breast tissue. There are different types of microcalcifications, and based on their pattern on the mammogram it gives the radiologist clues as to their cause. For instance microcalcifications that are more scattered are probably due to a benign (non-cancerous) cause, a
From what I have read, calcifications are suspicious when they form a cluster.  (A few years back I had a biopsy on microcalcs because they were clustered).  Calcs are cells that die off from getting older or from an injury.  When they are clustered it means that cells are dying off more in one area and that raises the suspicion for a possibility of a malignancy.  When they are scattered around it is usually just normal aging and not suspicious.  I am not a professional, and you should check with one, but I am pretty sure about what I have said!  Try not to worry!  I am sure you are fine!
I have both scattered calcifications and clustered calcifications in my breast. They always call the scattered ones "benign" and only worry about the clustered ones. I really don't think you have to worry about them unless they start clustering in suspicious formations.
Dear Montana girl-Today is your biopsy, right? I will be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. Please let us know how you make out. Ziggy
After waiting 45 min. for my biopsy, the radiologist called me in to go over my mammos with me in his office. This morning was the first time he saw the films. To make a long story short, he said he disagreed with the previous 2 radiologists (from Oct. and July) that read my mammos. He finds several homogeneous clusters, not pleomorhpic as written in previous report. He even looked at the mammos again when I brought it up. Homogeneous clusters like this are typically a benign condition. Finding several fibroadenomas is more typical of a benign condition, also. (I have both.) He also told me these calcifications are probably a result of my previous biopsy!!!!! I had previously been told just the opposite. Options: 1)pick one cluster and do a stereotactic altho he really feels it will be benign, 2)schedule a wire localizationto remove the whole area of calcifications - about 3 inches of tissue to get good margins, 3)follow-up every 6 months with magnified mammos. I've already had 2 surgeons tell me they didn't recommend removing the whole area of calcifications without more cause because it would be a major surgery. So, you guessed it, I'm doing the follow-up.  The radiologist (in his late 50's) spoke from experience and also conferenced with my surgeon over the phone this morning, so I am comfortable with the decision. Thank you for all your prayers. They were answered in an unusual way. Now I get to enjoy a day off from work. I will keep you all in my prayers.
I think I would have opted to wait and watch as well. I'm so glad the radiologist took the time to review everything with you and that you didn't have to experience yet another proceedure.
It sounds like my experience was similar to yours. Didn't you also have a doctor tell you to wait and watch your calcifications (except yours was after an unsuccessful biopsy, wasn't it?)
Glad to hear your great news. I had a good day as well..my follow-up mammogram was absolutely clear. I can breathe easier until the next mammogram comes around.
Nope. I've had 3 biopsies for fibriadenomas that were all benign. The mammo, ultra sound, MRI, and biopsies took 3 months to complete. Oye!
I am so glad that everyone is getting such wonderful news!  My mammo is scheduled for November 14.  Please continue to keep me in your prayers!  I am very nervous!
I'm so glad your mammo was normal. Are you on a 3 month mammo checkup schedule?
Yes, I'll pray your follow-up mammo is normal too.
The radiologist said that he will defer to my surgeon, if he feels that it is okay to wait for six months, the radiologist said it is okay with him too. As much as I felt that I was going to ne okay yesterday, there was still that nagging fear, that something was missed in the biopsy and I would be back at square one. It is a bit like Russian Roulette isn't it? But I am focusing on the positive and am thankful that "so far so good!"
PS you asked me what I teach...history to 100 high school students! Want to trade?
I can see where each mammogram would still be stressful. But, the frequent monitoring should catch things early if anything does show up. I love my 1st graders (most of the time) and wouldn't trade for high school. Although NCLB has made my job much more stressful, I still have a LOT of fun with my little ones.
I have a question about feeling after a core biopsy. It was done the first week in october and the area was retroareolar. I feel pretty good soreness and pain gone except for pain in the nipple which started about a week ago. I feel it when touched, even when taking a shower I sheild it from the stream of water. I had a follow up mammogram done yesterday and they said everything looked good and my breast doctor would get in touch with me with the results. I was wondering why the irritation now? It started a few days before this follow up mammogram and now it is worse since. I am actually thinking of calling the doctor on monday. Anyone have similar problem? let me know
I would talk to the doctor but it is normal to feel sensations for many weeks after a biopsy.
I AM 46 YEARS OLD WITH SALINE IMPLOANTS. MY LEFT IMPLANT RUPTUREED ON FRIDAY THE 13TH!!!!!!!!  I DID NOT HAVE A MAMOGRAM (mammogram) FOR 9 YEARS FOR FEAR MY IMPLOANTS WOULD RUPTURE  WELL IT RUPTURED WITHOUT THE MAMO!!!  SO MY PLOASTIC SURGEION SAID SHE WULD NOT OPERATE ON ME UNLESS I HAD A ROUTINE MAMO  SOOOOO   I WENT AND YES GUESS WHAT   THEY FOUND CLUSTERS OF MICRCALCIFICATIONS ON MY LEFT BREAST.  WHAT HORRIBLE NEWS I WAS SOOOOOOOO SCARED IT WAS A ABRIAD 4  SUSPICOIUS ABNORMALITIES  NEEDS TO BE BIOPSIED.  SO I WENT TO HAVE THE CORE ASPIRATION PROCEDURE BUT MY BOOB WAS TO SMALL  I DID NOT HAVE ENOUGHT TISSUE FOR THEM TO EXTRACT SOOOO THEY HAD TO PUT ME UNDER AND PERFORM A LUMPECTOMY (WIHOUT THE LUMP)  SO FOR TWO WEEKS I LIVED IN TOTALY WORRY AND AGONY AND HELL SCARED OF THE OUTCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  FINALY TODAY I GOT THE RESULTS NO CANCER!!!!!!!!!!   PLEASE LADIES HAVE YOUR MAMO  EVEN A 4 OR 5 RATING CAN BE BEGNIN IN FACT 85% OF THEM ARE  DONT BE A FOOL LIKE ME AND WAIT ,  HAD MY IMPLANT NEVER RUPTURE I WOULD HAVE NEVER KINOW THERE WAS A CALCIFICATION.  dONT BE SCARED  GOD IS GRACIOUS AND WILL BE THERE FOR YOU!!!!
God Bless........bad things do happen for a good reason.......Implants tend to cause calcifications, so I am told.  I do not have them, but since getting diagnosed with them, I've learned alot in a few  weeks...I'm glad all turned out well for you and great advise, mammo's save lives.......cant' tell you how many ladies are going whom where afraid until they heard my story...and yes agree god is gracious........he brings you to it, he will bring you through it.
Ohmygod, sounds like my story! Except I don't have implants, but when I went for my stereotactic core biopsy (today), they couldn't do it. They didn't have enough thickness to work with when my boob was compressed. So next step is a surgical consult for an excisional biopsy. You said lumpectomy without the lump, is that the same thing? I don't have a lump either, just a tight cluster of microcalcs. Which I learned about on... yep, Friday the 13th.

Really good news though, that yours came back negative!! You must feel so relieved. The idea of going in for breast surgery is just so scary - and the waiting is the worst!
Hi:

Jus wondering, you have mircocalifications?  They would go in with wire, that will pinpoint the cluster for the surgeon to easly go in and remove the cluster is so tiny, the incision should be quite small, and then it is tested for maligancy.  I too have the micocalifications, and right from the start the surgeon is doing the biospy by removing the whole thing.  

If you have micro califications, it is not cancer, it is pre-cancerous, and they test to see if it could be malignant, its a good thing as they see these and catch them on time.  

I hope this helps.  I never heard of it until it happened to me on my second mammo when they called me back from my first on 11/1, but you sure do become educated very quickly.  85% chance of being beningn...........
Lauren:

I hope you get this, can't put anymore posts on the other, and the site is filled for the day.......but I so hope you get this.

MY GOSH, I LOVE CALIFORNIA, I'M A NEW YORKER, vistied CA a few times ENJOY THE BEAUTY OF IT, IT WONDERUL...........................SNOW,IS A PLANE RIDE AWAY, YOU CAN VISIT!!!! I hope you get this to tell you have a wonderful weekend, enjoy the harbor, I love the ocean, my dream to live by it one day, up here in the east coast however.....

Yes we do watch what to eat, but honey considering the circumstances why not enjoy!!!!

If you want to, you can reach me outside of this at ***@****.....

PRAYERS TO ALL AND KEEP SMILING
Hope all went well, today. Emailed you a few times, as well. You're in my prayers. Let us know, when you're up to it, how you are.
Lauren
The other thread is closed but I just wanted to say that I hope everything went well for you yesterday.

To answer your question though, yes I have microcalcifications, in a tight cluster in my right breast, very high up about halfway to the collarbone. From what my NP said a single cluster of microcalcs are VERY likely not to be advanced cancer but the only way to tell for sure is with a biopsy.
My surgical consult was yesterday too (moved up from next week). They did a skin calc study (ouch!!) and confirmed that my calcs are in the parenchyma of the breast and not in the skin (which is very common and would not be suspicious at all). She said that they aren't especially suspicious even so, BIRAD 3 vs 4 was a judgment call.  They said 4 mostly because it was my first mammogram. If I could have done the stereotactic I would have been okay with that. But just waiting and watching would make me crazy... better to know for sure. So I am set to have a wire localisation excisional biopsy as soon as they can schedule me.
I never heard of a calc study. Not that I am that well versed on this subject. I have learned more than I ever wanted! Hope they schedule you quickly, so you don't have to wait. I have 3 more weeks for my 2nd biopsy. I was told, they were able to remove the first cluster and I am hoping for more of the same with the same diagnosis.
Keep us posted!
Well ladies, I am back at work.  What an experience is all I can say.  The wire, is more like a huge needle with a hook.  They took numerous films after the needle was put in, because the cluster was soooo small, they could not find it, needless to say, I'm very small.  I passed out from holding my breath so much, I thought they were not going to give me the surgery, they did finally and the surgery was smooth, but of course I was in la la land........So now the WATITING.....hopefully by Friday.....

I have to say ladies, we are strong, beautiful human beings.......and I thank everyone for their prayers.

LAUREN:   I didn't get an e-mail, maybe I gave you the incorrect address, it is ***@**** (the bunnny has 3 n's). I hope you are good and stil smiling........it is  another beautiful day.  I will say I'm glad the surgery part is over.....its quite emotionaly, and I will keep everyone posted....and of course you will all be in my prayers.....I never heard of a calc study either....hmmmm

DUH, sent it to bunny! No wonder I didn't get a response. I'm so glad you posted and the procedure is over with. I hope you find out by Friday, too. You're a trooper!!! Are you back at work?
No say duh, everyone does it, that was my original, but I couldn't get it back.  Yes, I am back at work, I could of stayed out for the week, but I would only be bored, I can't even exercise.................but the uncertainty is not comforting.........but I am still positive and "EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON"/

I thought some about your situation, and I truly believe you are going to be TOTALLY FINE..........its just emotionally draining...........but hey its definitely saving our lives, and its  a beautiful day again......... ;o)...I am glad we caught up again too........I was so upset when the thread was filled.

AGAIN, THANK YOU TO EVERYONE, AND REMEMBER THE POWER OF PRAYER LADIES...
I tried to email you again...thought correctly and it was returned twice! If you want to write, you can email me at ***@****. This way, I can return yours.
Glad you felt up to returning to work. It's probably for the best and if you feel blah, you can always go home. The waiting is the worst. You're positive outlook is wonderful and makes me see, I need to be the same way. We will be okay no matter what the outcome. Again, I'm really glad you posted. I was getting concerned. I never stopped praying for you.
You just brought tears to my eyes literally.........thank you for everything.......and YES WE WILL BE FINE, I know we will!!!

I am going to e-mail you now that way you can get my email address!!!

Yes, you are correct about working, thats what i said I can just go home if I felt blah, but I made it through the day, I am hoping by end of day tomorrow I will know.....I'm glad we reconnected.

KEEP SMILING  :o)
I gave you my old email address. Not sure what's wrong with me today! ***@****. So sorry!
Bunny, glad to hear you had your surgery, but you actually passed out from holding your breath?? It sounds like a horrible ordeal!

btw a skin calc study (not a calc study) - I hadn't heard of it either but it's where they stick a BB over the area while taking a mammogram and then roll the skin to see if the calcs move with the skin, and mine didn't. I started to get lightheaded during that too because they had sooo much trouble getting the calcs into the picture since they're so high up/far back.

I'll be thinking BENIGN thoughts for you - and 80% or better chance it will be. Mine is scheduled for the 29th... trying to stay positive too.
I wonder why a skin calc study isn't always done. Does it have to do with where they think yours is located? I sure wish there was an easier way for them to do a biopsy. I hope this is my last one. Glad yours is coming up soon.
Thank you so much.  YES, can you believe it, I'm assuming it was between holding my breath, my anxities, and not eating not that I would think not eating would bother me, but they mentioned that.......I think because I had to keep holding my breath, I got light headed and then blacked out.  I was not going to tell them, but my body did......it really was horrific.  I would say they took about 15 + films and with the needle sticking out of me........but the biopsy was a breeze, and I really do not feel pain achy, but not so much pain, but of course they gave me durecett...which always helps.  I would love it if they can give you a valium or xanax before mammography films.....its so stressful.

Interesting about the calc test.  I think Lauren you may be right, they probably can only do it based on where is located...

Thank you all, I WILL DEFINITELY keep you posted on my results..I hopeful, but "what will be will be" and I will deal with it.......

EVERYONE AS ALWAYS WILL BE IN MY PRAYERS!!!!  Keep us posted Fizigxgal.....and you too of course Laure113.

Peace,
Keep us posted on when your appointment is.  You are having the same biopsy that I had, which believe me I think is the best option for this situation, take it all out whether or not, that way its all gone................

Praying, for all.
Has anyone heard from Suealoo, she was set for her mammogram, I was just wondering.  Lauren have you seen her on the form?

I will still prayer all came out well.

Peace,
I haven't heard from her either. Hope it all went well. How are you feeling?
I'm good.  Just the anesthsia I think is messing with my stomach today, but that o.k...........I'm still good, getting a bit anxious, but I will be fine with either of the results of course we want to hear benign, but what will be will be

I hope Suealoo is o.k.............

How about you are you smiling ;o)
LADIES:

Its benign..........thank god.....and thank everyone everyone for all their support and prayers....I will be on forum everyday, its been a wonderful part of my ordeal too which I will never forget.
A related discussion, Microcalcificaions was started.