Breast Cancer Expert Forum
sclerosing adenoma

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

sclerosing adenoma
I am a 50 yr. old (pre-menopausal)female who had 2 biopsies in the past year that were diagnosed as fibroadenomas.  I now have 4 new lumps in the same breast,2 were not biopsied, one was a fibroadenoma and one had sclerosis.  It has been recommended that I have the lump with sclerosing removed. Is this necessary?  What causes sclerosis? Does having sclerosing tissue increase my risk for breast cancer or is it a precursor to breast cancer?  Is there a risk from having multiple biopsies?  Thanks for your help.
Dear mebbob:  A fibroadenoma is a smooth lump found in the breast. They are harmless in themselves and about 50% will disappear within 5 years. Another type of fibroademoa is a complex fibroadenoma. It is complex because not only were the glands and surrounding tissue in the lump (as usual) but the women also had microscopic entities such as sclerosing adenosis or apocrine metaplasia. These fibroadenomas serve as a marker for the possibility of developing cancer in the future - they are not cancer in themselves. It represents a 1-1.5 increase in relative risk.
Specifically,

Adenosis, an increase in the number of acini within lobules, occurs frequently as part of fibrocystic change.

Sclerosing adenosis includes an additional proliferation of myoepithelial cells associated with a very small increased risk for subsequent breast cancer development.

Multiple biopsies do not increase risk.