Breast Cancer Expert Forum
sex during treatment

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

sex during treatment
i just finished chemo i am in my thrid week of radiation  someone told me if i had sex i would pass on the chemo and radiation to my husband and it would cause warts on his penis is that so
Dear pam752, Most chemotherapy medications are out of the body within 24 - 48 hours after treatment is stopped, so usually after this timeframe exposure to chemotherapy by your husband would not be likely.  External beam radiation does not stay in the system, it is like an x-ray and cannot be "passed on" to another person.  You would want to make sure that you do not get pregnant while on chemotherapy or radiation.  You may want to check with your oncologist if there are any precautions specific to the chemotherapy or radiation that you are recieving.