Breast Cancer Expert Forum
should i have my other breast removed

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

should i have my other breast removed
i was dx with breast cancer in feb 2002, had mastectomy to left breast, had 12 lymhps removed 3 was found to have cancer in them.
i was told that i had lobuler cancer so there was a chance it might return, i am having 8 sessions of chemo 4 called FEC and 4 a trial drug called TAXOTERE only got 1 more of these to get, then 15 sessoins of radiotherapy to start on 26 AUG after this i am to go on TAMOXEFIN for 5 years my question is,
with this cancer being a recurring one i am thinking of asking my surgon to give me a mastectomy on my other breast as i have heard this reduces the chances of it coming back by 90% and there is a history of breast cancer in my family my mother died from it when she was only 45 i am now 45 myself and i don't want to go through all this treatment again do you think this is the right thing to do
Dear bizzylizzy, You're currently recieving the adjuvant tratment to treat any possible microscopic spread of the cancer beyond the breast.  The radiation is for local treatment.  As for the decision whether or not to remove the other breast this decision is ultimately up to you.
If it were me I'd have it removed. Just my opinion......
i am having a bilateral masectomy in about 2 weeks. My gene testing came back positive and i dont want to have to deal with this again
Having had two unrelated instances of cancer in my left breast, (lumpectomy with the first one and mastectomy the second time) followed by radiation/chemotherapy/tamoxifen after the first dx -I opted for mastectomy of my right breast one year later. The peace of mind it has provided me is immense. Was it necessary? I'll never know, but I would do it again. Hope this helps you with your decision.