Breast Cancer Community
soft painless lump in armpit

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

soft painless lump in armpit

Hi! I don't know am I on the right topic but I'll try here. I found soft painless lump in my left armpit 10 years ago.i went to my doctor and she checked my breast and she found nothing.She told me that it's a cyst(without a biopsy) and nothing to do with it only if it start to grow or to be painful. today i know much more about "this" lumps in armpit and I'm scared because i haven't checked it since that. It's still there, a litlle bigger then it was (but maybe it's just because I'm scared)ΒΈ it's on the top of the armpit closer to the muscle and in one position of the hand you can't see it and in another it's clearly visible.i'm breastfeeding so i cant check my breasts propely. Can someone tell me is it the reason to worry and what to do?
There is no immediate cause of worry as you say the lump has been present for 10 years now, with more or less no change in size.
It would be still advisable to get a repeat clinical examination by a doctor and also get a USG if he / she advises. This would tell whether the lump is cystic or solid and whetehr a needle aspiration is required or not for a confirmed diagnosis.
Is it paining right now?
Do you have problems with breast feeding?
It would be advisable to get a proper clinical examination to be absolutely sure.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
thank you for the prompt answer. Lump is not paining at all and I don't have any problems with breast feeding. i don't know why is sometimes more visible-depends on the position of the hand and especally if a touch it few times. When I put down the hands i can't find it at all.
As you mentioned the lump is close to the muscle so it must be becoming prominent when that particular muscle is tense or being used. Thats why it is prominent at some times only. At other times,when the muscle is lax, it does not get prominent and is hidden behind the skin folds.
Have you planned to go and see your doctor?
Any problems with breast feeding?
Hope this helps.
Good luck.