Breast Cancer Expert Forum
sore right breast and painful lump in right armpit

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

in 1996, my doctor removed a huge lump from my right breast and tests showed it was benign. there were no lumps after that.  3 months ago. i've been having painful lumps in  both my armpits, i didn't pay much attention to that cuz i thought it may be due to colds that i've been having. although i never had lumps in my armpits before during a cold. last week though, my right breast was sore. it wouldn't be a big deal had it been two painful breasts before my period, cuz two breasts normally hurt before my period.  my right breast is achy AFTER my period and the following day a painful lump on my armpit showed up. I cannot find any lumps on my right breast though. i intend to consult my doctor on this but I just need to get some information as to why I've been having lumps and soreness in the breast area. and what should i ask my doctor in case she recommends a test? thank you soo much.
Dear nakedice:  It is unlikely that lumps in both armpits are related to breast cancer.  This sounds more like a response to an infection.  In addition, breast cancer is not usually associated with pain.  You are doing the right thing by having your doctor look into the problem.  If he/she orders a mammogram or ultrasound, you should proceed.
You might want to check out this link regarding Sebaceous and Pilonidal Cysts which occure in the armpit.
http://askwaltstollmd.com/archives/seba.html

Hope this helps.

I also have a lump but it is under my left armpit. It has been there about three weeks now. There is some pain near my breast, but mostly discomfort because of the size. I plan to see my doctor later this week to have this checked out. I have had no colds or infections and have been in pretty good health for the past few months.
I believe that any suspicious lump should be checked by a qualified doctored and if you aren't satisfied with their results go to another one. Continue to until you are happy with the results. If several doctors tell you the same thing that doesn't mean that they are right. You need to go with your gut feelings on this one.
Remember the patient has become just a number today and most doctors try to see how many patients that they can see in a day instead of how many can they cure in a day.