Breast Cancer Expert Forum
spiculated nodular density

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

spiculated nodular density

I am 42 years old.  I have been having mammograms since 35 because I do not have a medical history.  My recent mamm is worded as follows:  There are scattered fibrogladular densities.  Left breast parenchymal pattern is table.  In the posterior-superior aspect of the right breast on the MLO view, there is a 5 mm spiculated nodular density for which additional imaging with spot compression is recommended in the MLO and exaggerated craniocaudal lateral projections.  The remainder of the right breast parenchymal pattern is stable.  
I went back for additional films.  The radiologist also sent my for an us.  They did not see this nodule on the us.  They want me to come back in 6 months for another mammogram.  Everything I read about the word spiculated is worrisome.  Can something show up on a mammogram and not on US?Your thoughts?
Dear jackie140:  A spiculated nodule on mammogram generally is an indication for further investigation.  In this case, additional views on mammography and ultrasound.  It is possible for something to be present on mammogram and not on ultrasound.  It is not uncommon for something to show up on a screening mammogram that will disappear with spot compression (it could be a simple as tissue folding over on itself).  You should discuss with your doctor whether the nodule remained present on the spot compression and how that was interpreted by the radiologist.  If you remain concerned, you might consider an opinion with a breast specialist or breast surgeon.
Thank you for your answer.  I was wondering if it was common to see a spiculated nodule that really wasn't there.  It seems that the spiculated part of the results were the most worrisome.  
I just spoke to my Dr. and the radiologist does see the spiculated nodule on the compression.  But it does not appear on the ultrasound.  Your thoughts?
I received my mamo report which was compared to 1/11/06 film.  It reads:
There are scattered fibroglandular elements in both breasts.
Benign appearing calcifications are seen on the right.
There is a benign density in the left breast.
There are post operative findings in the right breast.
There is a biopsy clip in the left breast.

There is a new spiculated density in the right breast central to the nipple middle depth.

Can you tell me what this might mean?  They advise additional views as well as an ultrasound are recommended.  I made my next appt already.

Joan K

A related discussion, Spiculated Density was started.
A related discussion, Mammogram concerns was started.