Breast Cancer Expert Forum
statistics

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

statistics

I have been told that fibrocystic breast disease can eventually turn into breast cancer. Is this true, and if so how high is the risk? I though it was a benign condition. Thank You
Dear Candywoman:  Fibrocystic breast disease is a benign condition that describes breast tissue which has a lot of fibroglandular tissue.  Often this type of breast tissue feels lumpy or ropey and can appear dense on mammography.  It is not a risk factor for breast cancer.  It does not turn into breast cancer.  It can make mammography more difficult to read and self breast exam more difficult to do in terms of feeling for new lumps, however.
i would be interested in that answer as well. i have had fibrocystic beasts for over 5 years and have just been diagnosed with microcalcifications which i have to have biopsied in october. i have read alot about fibrocystic breasts being caused by too much estrogen in the body. if this is true then when you are diagnosed with this why would a doctor not prescribe all natural progesterone to balance it out to eliminate further problems down the road. there are alot of articles from dr john lee about this. if i would have heard about this sooner i surely would have tried it.
I was told that I was at a higher risk for developing breast cancer (which I did in February '04) because my breasts were so dense with cysts and actual solid lumps (fibroadenomas).  I think part of the reason was that when you hear "benign" you become complacent and slack off on self exams or biopsies (if recommended).  Also, cysts and fibroadenomas if left and not followed religiously, could mask a cancer elsewhere.  When I had my lumpectomy for invasive breast cancer, the specimen also had two small fibroadenomas in it.
I have had fibroid cysts for almost twenty years, had them removed twice.  In 1997 had a lumpectomy they were benign, found another one last year, new doctor wouldn't remove it, said to "watch it" I went to another doctor this year and he removed it and it was cancer, very early cancer so I had a double mastectomy.  I never took any type of hormones, not even birth control, nursed my children, didn't fit any catagory but am convince that radiation has a part in fibroid's developing cancer.  Had idodine uptake for thyroid which is radio active in 2001, and an MRI just my therory but hormones and radiation exposure may really contribute to breast cancer or dense breasts with benign fibroid's developing cancer.
Hi, I am NOT a doctor - I am a breast cancer patient and I have had lumpy (fibrocystic) and sore breasts for years. I would recommend that you try Traditional Chinese Medicine as they have great success with this condition. It is working for me!