Breast Cancer Community
stereotactic needle biopsy with wire?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

stereotactic needle biopsy with wire?

I have calcifications that look suspicious at times. Two years ago I had a biopsy in each breast and they came back benign and of course the clips were placed.

This year a new area looked odd and I had another biopsy which came back benign. However now the breast surgeon sees 'atypical cells' and wants to do a more involved biopsy where a wire will be placed. I already had an MRI which I was told showed no problems.

It's hard to get a straight answer out of this doctor and I feel a bit biopsy weary. I'm also going to have big problems paying for this procedure. Can anyone share any knowledge or experience with this?
Atypical hyperplasia isn't cancer.It simply describes an increased accumulation of abnormal cells.This condition is not cancer,however it can be a forerunner to the development of breast cancer in the future and this is why your Surgeon has recommend an excisional breast biopsy.
Now, concerning the wire localization,the procedure begins using the mammogram as a guide, the radiologist/Surgeon locates the area of concern, numbs the area with a local anesthetic, and then inserts a thin wire into the breast so that the tip rests in the suspicious area. The wire is kept in place with a gauze dressing. A second mammogram is taken to confirm that the wire is in the right place.
I had this procedure done before surgery and it's a little uncomfortable but not really painful.Before surgery you will receive medication to help you relax and sleep.Sometimes, general anesthesia is used. Ask you surgeon which type of anesthesia will be used for your surgery procedure. Recovery is usually quick and relatively painless.
For full information,please copy and paste the article I provide below.

http://www.cancer.med.umich.edu/files/wire%20_loc_biopsy.pdf

Wishing you all the best and benign results!
Hi, I also had this procedure done. I feel I was kind of rushed into it & really regret not getting a second opinion. I now have a indentation in my left breast & still have the seroma, my surgery was March 15th. Is this common & will this indentation fill in? My sister went through the same thing, but her Dr ordered a MRI & is ordering mammograms every 6 mo's for two years & then yearly after that. MRI was not given to me as a option. My sister had this done about a mo after I did. Had I known I would of gotten a second opinion.Thanks, Lori
As I remember,you stated in one of your posts that your clustered calcification showed precancerous cells.Although this condition is not cancer,over the course of your lifetime,if these atypical (abnormal) cells keep dividing and become more abnormal, your condition could have been reclassified as carcinoma in situ or noninvasive breast cancer.You mention that your sister's calcification are being monitored every 6 months,but you had to have yours removed.Please remember that calcification form and pattern are different in every case and many factors have to be  considered before recommending surgery. Maybe you should have sought a second opinion,but if I were you I would want these precancerous cells taken out of my body as soon as possible,because one never knows if or when they can become cancerous.
As I mentioned before,the seroma might take a month to a year to be completely absorbed by the body.If it becomes larger and cause pain, the surgeon may use a needle and drain the fluid out to relieve the pressure or to help the healing go more quickly.
Regarding the indentation,I think I mentioned before, that it could disappear or be permanent,depending on how much tissue was removed from your breast.If this is really bothering you,a plastic surgeon is the right professional to talk to if you are concerned over the cosmetic aspect of your breast.
Take care now...