Breast Cancer Community
stereotatic or excisional biopsy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

stereotatic or excisional biopsy?

Just got back from the Dr. ( I had a mammogram done on Monday of this week, and was called back in on Thurs. for
an ultrasound ) something was showing up and they wanted a better view. Now, the ultrasound was showing them nothing, so I had to do another mammogram.(ouch, I am very sensitive, and it does hurt me more than a little bit of discomfort). Anyway, the second mammogram is showing the same thing the one on Monday showed. Now, the Dr. comes in and says and tells me there are two small areas that concern them. my choice was stereotatic biopsy or excisional  biopsy...here's my Question, if I do the take a sample biopsy (stereotatic) then I might end up doing the excisional anyway. ( that's where they just remove the whole thing ..that is if it's small enough),  which mine is. So why not be save and just get it out? Why do one, knowing that you might still have to do the other? One, if I understand correctly leaves a hole, the other leaves a small cut (scar). So? Why possibly put myself through two operations?
Thanks for your Time,
CM
I had microcalifications show up on my mammogram.  I was told to have a stereotatic biopsy.  It was never mentioned that I could have to have another biopsy if the path report had certain findings.   My stereotactic showed atypical ductal hyperplasia.  I then had to have an excisional biopsy.  If I would have known at the time that there was even a chance of having an excisional biopsy I would have had that done instead of the sterotatic.   I guess the standard course of action for atypical ductal hyperplasia is an excisional biopsy.  I agree with you just go in and get the whole thing out and save your self the agony of two biopies and waiting for two reports.  The stereotactic does leave a little hole, but it will disappear.  I had lots of bruising with my stereotactic.  My excisional biopsy was a lot easier, and it will probably leave a tiny scar.  
After all of this I did ask my doctor, why I had to go through two biopsies.  They think that the stereotatic biopsy is a lot less invasive.  
I hope that my post helps you.  There are certain findings in the path report that can lead to an excisional biopsy anyway.  If you don't mind the tiny scar, then I would ponder my decision carefully.  The sterotatic biopsy was not really painful, the worse part was probably lying on that most uncomfortable table.  The rad gives you a local, and even though you can't feel anything, you are perfectly aware of what is going on.  The excisional biopsy for me was done with a local and IV sedation.  I was in a twilight sleep, didn't know anything had happened.  For me that was much easier and I didn't have hardly any pain with the excisional, but like I said I had lots of bruising with the sterotactic.  I had no bruising with the excisional.  
I think from reading your post that you have more or less made up your mind about which biopsy ..... I tend to agree with you. I personally would go for the excisional biopsy; like you say "why not" if it may possibly follow anyway. I had excisional and had no bruising and very little discomfort. No regrets !!
I just went through a similar situation, and you are right.  I had to wait to get the appt. for the stereotactic, then go to have it, lay on that table for over an hour only for them to tell me we can't do it.  It is too small, we cannot locate it.  Now you need to have an excisional biopsy w/ needle localization.....Had to wait again another week to have a pre-op appt. with a surgeon..and one more week for surgery.  When all this could have been avoided had I just had the excisional to begin with.  I would just do it.  Mine turned out benign, thank God!  I wish you the best.

alicia
I just had my excisional biopsy 2 days ago.  I am very uncomfortable - pain in my nipple, my entire breast bruised, very gassy and pain in my back and lungs when I try to take a deep breath.  Does anyone have any tips on how to get comfortable?  I just want to be able to act normal again.
I too have to have a excisional biopsy on my right breast, just behind the nipple. They have to do the needle localization. Has anyone had that procedure done that has breast implants?? I am afraid that they will puncuture the implant?? let me know.