Breast Cancer Expert Forum
sternum pain?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

sternum pain?
Recently I have had bilateral breast pain.  It is typically between the breasts although encompasses half each breast towards the sternum.  Sometimes the nipples tingle and burn, but there is definite pain/burning in betweeen the breasts.  I have had high estrogen levels in the past.  I also recently used a month of Yasmin to reduce a luteal cyst.  It worked but shortly after this pain started.  I am 41, had a normal mammogram about 1 1/2 years ago.  (Doctor told me mammogram every 2 years)  I am due for one in about six months.  Do I need to go sooner.  Possible costochondritis or IBC?  Thank you.
Dear maybe, Breast pain is a common breast symptom.  The reason for breast pain is not clearly understood, and is not usually associated with breast cancer.  Breast pain is sometimes associated with hormonal variations and is then called cyclical breast pain.  Noncyclical breast pain does not seem to be linked to hormonal variations and is often localized to one area of the breast tissue.  Noncyclical breast pain may or may not be the result of an injury to the breast.

As this is a new symptom for you it is best to have this pain evaluated.  Your primary care doctor would be a good place to start.
Bilateral breast pain is almost never a sign of breast cancer, IBC or otherwise. If it were, there would most likely be dramatic other findings. So it's quite safe to say that's not it. Costochondritis is a possibility, although is usually more local, and specific trigger points of pain can often be found. I always feel that no matter how innocent a thing sounds, when there is a persisting change it's a good idea to let your doctor know. Meanwhile, it doesn't sound very worrisome.