Breast Cancer Expert Forum
stinging pain, no lumps, in left breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

stinging pain, no lumps, in left breast

Hi, I'm about to turn 30 in October and have recently had sharp stinging pain in my lower left breast. Pain only happens in the shower. I don't feel any lumps, but the stinging pain feels general yet specific, so it's kind of hard to pinpoint or describe. It's almost beneath the breast tissue, with slight bruising feeling around the armpit and rib cage. Sometimes around the lower nipple. Why would this only be happeing in the shower? Why would I have it at all? First felt it about 3 weeks ago. Wondering if I should be worried?
Dear kayejay, Breast pain is a common breast symptom.  The reason for breast pain is not clearly understood, and is not usually associated with breast cancer.  Breast pain is sometimes associated with hormonal variations and is then called cyclical breast pain.  Noncyclical breast pain does not seem to be linked to hormonal variations and is often localized to one area of the breast tissue.  Noncyclical breast pain may or may not be the result of an injury to the breast.  Without being able to evaluate further it is difficult to say what might be causing your discomfort.  If this persists, or worsens you may want to bring it to the attention of your doctor who can evaluate.