Breast Cancer Expert Forum
subcutaneous mastectomy for adh?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

subcutaneous mastectomy for adh?
I had a golf ball size lump removed and biopsied. The first biopsy came back atypical ductal hyperplasia, severe fibrocystic disease & florid adenosis, but it also said it was being sent off for further testing to rule out carcinoma. That report came back much like the first one except it said no invasive carcinoma found. My surgeon has suggested that a subcutaneous mastectomy is the best thing to do. I am only in my early twenties and he said that makes my risk higher. He has said it is as high as 40% chance of developing breast cancer. I am not affraid to have it done because I am very scared of getting breast cancer. My question is, #1 How does my age play into to the adh and risk? #2 Is a subcutaneous mastectomy something that is frequently done for prevention?
Thank you very much for any information you may be able to help me with.
Dear osgrl: Atypical ductal hyperplasia is associated with an increased risk of breast cancer.  But it is not cancer.  It is not precancer.  Your age plays into it primarily because you have a lot of hormone rich years in front of you - making your lifetime risk period - long.  There are options to consider for prevention, including 5 years of tamoxifen and mastectomy (remember, a mastectomy is not foolproof - there is always some breast tissue left behind, particularly subcutaneosly).  Before proceding with one of these methods, it is very important to consider your risk (family history etc.).  You may benefit from a discussion with a genetic counselor and/or experience breast specialist who can evaluate your risk, discuss issues with you such as childbearing etc. and determine the best plan for surveillance/prevention.
I had subcutaneous mastectomies in the 70's at age 34 or so...it was done as a preventative secondary to similar test results as well as a horrific family history...I believe I am here today because of that surgery  good luck
I have ADH and I have chosen the Tamoxifen. So far so good. I think you might want to talk to a breast spec. Subcutaneous mastectomy a huge decision and you should have all the  information thats out there to make the best decision for you.
Good Luck