Breast Cancer Expert Forum
surgery choise for a DCIS and a ADH

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

surgery choise for a DCIS and a ADH

I was diagnosed recently that I have a DCIS and an ADH on different locations of same breast.The DCIS is ER/PR negative and HER-2 positive. I was told that I have a choise of either do mastectomy or lumpectomy followed by whole breast radiation. If lumpectomy, the surgeon will remove both DCIS at 4'clock and ADH at 12'clock and the tissues in between. My questions are:
1. Based on my case, are lumpectomy a regular surgery choise?
2. Again, in my case, does lumpectomy and mastectomy have same recurrent rate?
with my age (52), and the factors of not being a pure DCIS (with ADH on different spot) and EP/PR negative and Her2 positive, do I take extra risk if I choose lumpectomy?  
Thank you for the help.
Dear yousu100,  The decision to have a lumpectomy or mastecomy can be a difficult one when both are viable options. Most research shows that lumpectomy (with clean surgical margins) combined with radiation therapy has comparable results to mastectomy. An important consideration is whether there is adequate breast tissue remaining after lumpectomy to produce a good cosmetic result.  There are some situations in which lumpectomy may be associated with a higher risk of recurrence such as with large cancers and when it is multifocal (involving more than one area in the breast).  A surgeon with expertise in breast cancer would best be able to advise you of the pros and cons of each approach for your particular situation.