Breast Cancer Community
surgical biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

surgical biopsy

well i went to have a fine needle biopsy the other day but the doctor could not do it because the mass was not  really visible on the ultrasound and it is so fat back against chest wall.  now i have to go for a surgical biopsy with a guided wire procedure .  can anyone give me any info about it??  not  looking forward to it that is for sure.  but i just want this over with it
Hi!
Having just undergone a wire guided excisional biopsy, I can appreciate your concern.
For me, the procedure was not difficult and ultimately resulted in the diagnosis of two intraductal papillomas, a benign condition.  
The wire localization is done under ultrasound in the radiology department (or breast center) and was only mildly uncomfortable.  The breast tissue is numbed with a local anesthesia (Lidocaine) and the wires are put in to help pinpoint the area(s) of concern for the surgeon.  The wires are very thin and are secured in place to make sure the surgeon is operating in the right area.
The excisional biopsy is done under general anesthesia (just like any other operative procedure) and the incision is usually closed with suture material.  The sutures stay in place for about a week and are removed on the first preop visit with the surgeon.  At that time, the pathology results are reviewed and the treatment plan is determined.  For me, the intraductal papillomas meant the end of the treatment as no malignancy was found.
Postop, there is some discomfort.  Wearing a good sports bra or support bra (no underwire) really helped and I kept mine on 24/7 for the first 3 days.  The discomfort was manageable, and I did not require any pain medication.  The doctor can give you a prescription for pain medication if it is needed.
I was able to resume my usual activity the next day, just being a bit more careful and not "bumping" into things or doing any heavy lifting.
All in all, I had wonderful care from a great team of doctors and nurses and obviously, the benign results made the entire experience worthwhile.
Hopefully, this helps answer some of your questions and helps ease your concerns.  Feel free to ask more specific questions and I will try and respond as needed.
May you also have minimal discomfort and may your results be as good as mine!
Take care----
thank you so much for your information and support.  this website has been so helpful as i go through this time.  how wondeful to hear your news.  you must be delighted           now i have one more question  i was under the assumption that i had to go back to the breast center before they closed me up with sutures to make sure they got the whole mass.  does that sound right????  
To anyone who is concerned or nervous about having the wire localization procedure - I have great news to report.  A friend of mine had it done a few years ago, and talked about how terribly painful it was, and she wasn't given any sedation or numbing injections.  When I found out I had to have the same procedure I was very frightened, as I do not do well with needles or medical procedures in general.  I did a lot of research on the internet and found out there are two numbing creams LMX 4% Lidocaine, (available behind the counter) and EMLA 2.5% Lidocaine, 2.5% Prilocaine which requires a prescription.  I bought both, and actually tested them on myself at home, by sticking insulin needles in myself after 2 hours of leaving the numbing cream on, and it works!  When I had the wire procedure this week, first they put in the IV needle which I barely felt because I had plastered numbing cream over my veins to help with the IV pain.  I also plastered so much numbing cream over my breast that during the actual wire procedure, I barely felt any discomfort from the clamps, did not feel the needle from the numbing injection until it reached the deepest point, and then only for a second or two.  I did not even feel pressure of the numbing needle going through my skin.  When the radiologist inserted the needle with the wire, it was over before I knew he had even started - so no pain, no pressure at all.  I was so afraid of this procedure, and it turned out to be so easy, I wanted to share it with anyone who has needle phobia like I do.  After that, I was taken to surgery and given twilight sleep to remove the calcifications, and I was out like a light!  I've been wearing a sports bra for 3 days and it does help immobilize the surgery site, but I am ready to get rid of it, as it flattens what little I had to begin with.   I hope this helps anyone with needle phobia like me.