Breast Cancer Community
survival rate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

survival rate

I am a 3 year survivor of breast cancer I was diagnosed with t2n3mo stage 3c breast cancer in 2007 I had a mastectomy followed by chemo and radiation I took tamoxifen till I had a hysotectomy now I take Arimedex I would like to know what my survival rate is
This is a question that is almost impossible to answer. There are statistics that deal with generalities but none of them actually deal with any one specific case. I have never relied on published percentages as I feel there are too many variables in each person's cancer as well as the response to the therapy. You might search for Statistics of Survival Rates on the Internet but I wouldn't ever depend on them for myself.
Hi, I am in the exact same position as you and  I understand the larger meaning behind your question.

I was also  diagnosed with stage 3c breast cancer in 2007.  Also was treated with  mastectomy, chemo, radiation and Tamoxifen, and then switched to Arimidex which I could not  tolerate, and neither any other of the Aromatase inhibitors. (So, the very last part is different}

My cancer metastasized last year, and I don't think yours has as you did not mention it.

This is what I have learned from experience. Nobody can really tell you. It's like you really want to know but no answer, if provided,( and answers are provided more than you may think) will satisfy you (us) in any way, believe me.

If the doctor or anyone else tells you that you will be fine and outlive everyone else, that does not feel right, and neither is such answer reassuring, right?

But should an expert, like your doctor tell you that you have at most 3-6 months to live, that is terrible too, and really scary as well, and shocking. (And this is true both for stage 3 and/or 4)

My radiologist told me I would be dead for the latest on my last birthday, and that  was Aug.1st of this year. (even worse is that my twin sister died at that time instead of me)

I believe that your oncologist will know more  when we get close to dying, but  not nearly as well as we will know. And the same goes when someone's cancer spreads. I knew the moment this happened and had be sit with this knowledge for a couple of months because nobody took me seriously and it did not show on the scans, yet I was positive.

a couple of weeks after this lonely/alone period, my doctors nurse said 'enough is enough' and she had another oncologist order a series of tests for me when my own doctor was out of town.

It had gone to the brain and liver.

But even when that happens and the cancer spreads, no studies or statistics really apply to us anymore because the statistics anyone can tell you are outdated and there has been so much progress in the treatment of breast cancer, especially.

If this was 50 years ago I surely would have long been dead. but I now do from one treatment to the next and I feel pretty good. how long I don't know but I trust that I will be the first to know when the time comes.

Hope this helps a little. (no time for editing)

Sincerely, Katrin