Breast Cancer Expert Forum
swelling after sentinel node surgery

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

swelling after sentinel node surgery
I had sentinel node surgery three days ago. four nodes were checked. the results were positive. now, my breast on that side has swollen to more than twice its normal size. It has stretch marks on it and it is huge. i went to the surgeon yesterday and he was surprised to see this. He called in another surgeon to also look at it and both said they have never seen this before. They think it may be a reaction to the dye used to indicate which nodes to remove. I am supposed to return on Tuesday for the usual check, but i wonder if anyone has experienced this before. Thank you.
Dear mom22girlz:  Without examination it is impossible to speculate on the cause of this swelling.  Your surgeon is the best to judge this in your case.  This type of swelling is not a common reaction to the blue dye.