Breast Cancer Community
swelling around the armpit area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

swelling around the armpit area

The day after my last period finished a swelling appeared around my left armpit area. It is quite large and visible to anyone looking. It doesnt hurt in any way and is soft and spongy to the touch but when i press down on it i can feel something deep inside. Its kind of hard to explain but it feels like a long line with ridges on it. When i lift my arms above my head it totally vanishes. I have also noticed that my left nipple is noticeably lower than the right which i dont think it was before although i cant be 100 per cent sure. Im 36 years old, i dont have children and there is no history of cancer in my family at all. I waited till my next period to see if it went down but its still there although it hasnt changed size or shape and doesnt hurt. Any ideas as to what this could be. many thanks.

The lump that you feel is most probably an axillary lymph node. These are known to enlarge secondary to shaving, waxing, using a new deodorant, due to infection or inflammation, etc.

Use some warm compresses and do not shave, wax or use a deodorant for a few days - the lump should resolve on  its own.

Have you noticed any abnormal features on breast self examination like a breast lump, nipple discharge or skin changes?

If it still persists, you would need to see your doctor for a clinical evaluation.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Regards.
Hi there,
Thanks for that. No i havent noticed any other changes and there are no lumps in the breast itself but the fact that the swelling has been there a couple of months and hasnt gone down leads me to believe that it might be something more serious. Will stop shaving and deodrants for a few days and see what happens. thanks

Glad to know that the post was of some help.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and do post us on how you are doing.

Regards

Hi Pookie,
A swollen axillary lymph node can indeed be a sign of breast cancer, even in the absence of a palpable breast mass. I am not saying it IS; I'm saying it CAN BE.

If I were you, I'd certainly not mess around with shaving or not shaving, using deodorant or not using deodorant. Instead, I'd get an appointment with a breast clinic or a breast surgeon for a hands-on professional evaluation this coming week. Believe me, I know whereof I speak.

Best of luck.
Paddle

How are you doing now? Has there been any symptomatic improvement?

Keep us posted and let us know if you have any doubts.

Regards.