Breast Cancer Expert Forum
swelling

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

swelling

I have a little swelling(dont know if its a lump) under my armpit. I am 28 yrs old and pregnant - 26 weeks. I was wondering if this swelling could be cancerous. Or is it normal to swell during pregnancy. Can I go get the Breast cancer tests done during pregnancy. And last does breast cancer strike so early?
Thanks!
Dear raji2:  Breast cancer is uncommon in 28 year olds.  It is more likely that this swelling is related to your pregnancy, however, you should point this out to your doctor to be certain.  Mammography is not usually recommended during pregnancy.  If there is concern on the part of your doctor, other tests can be done.
there are various causes for swelling in the armpit area during pregnancy, including having extra breast tissue there. It's not impossible to have cancer at your age, but pretty uncommon. The best way to get an idea of what if anything needs to be done is to have your doctor check it out. By far the most likely outcome is that it won't be of significance; but have it checked to be sure.
hi, I posted about the same thing a few weeks ago..I am currently 19 weeks pregnant and I also have a swelling under my left armpit..my doctor said it was a swollen lymph node and wasn't concerned..I went back to my family doctor and she gave me an antibiotic and it still didn't go down..it's been 6 wks..I begged her to send me for an ultrasound which I just had and all it showed was a small gland..the radiologist said she wasn't concerned..