Breast Cancer Community
swollen and painful lymphnode under arm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

swollen and painful lymphnode under arm

I am a 38 yr old female.  Had a total, uterus/ovaries/cervix/tubes, removal in 2005.  I have had clear breast discharge for about 4 years now.  Pain to breasts, especially the right one.  I feel as if a nail is being driven into my breast through my nipple.  I did not take hormone replacement meds after my surgery.  Since 2010, I was doing my monthly breast self exam and I noticed a "bump" under my arm.  Dr. ordered a mammogram and ultrasound and the mammogram was normal, although the ultrasound did show a little swelling on the lymph node.  Fast forward 3 months, I notice the "bump" is a little bigger, repeat u/s with a bilateral mammo., again mammogram negative and u/s shows the same size for the lymph node.  Today, I had another ultrasound done and the size of the lymph node is 2.9 cm x 1.9 cm.  I don't remember the first measurements, yet according the tech, she did state it was larger than the previous one.  I still have the discharge, breasts still hurt, especially the right one.  Could anyone offer any other suggestions?  Thank you in advance.  God Bless.
1 Comment
All your tests seem to have come back negative. Often when a lymph node becomes enlarged it never retuns to it's original size. As I'm sure you know these nodes become enlarged for various reasons; the main one being an infection somewhere in the body. I would suggest that you take all your films and reports and see a Breast Specialist for an opinion regarding the persistant lymph node as well as the breast symptoms you have meneioned. Breast discharge such as you describe isn't usually something of much concern.   Regards ....