Breast Cancer Community
swollen hand after breast surgery
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

swollen hand after breast surgery

i had breast cancer and went under surgery for breast (left)removal in 2003. after the surgery my left hand got swollen. doctor advised me some hand exercises, but in vain as till date the swelling in my hand has not faded away. Apparently the swelling increases and pain persist , if i perform work from my left hand. The size difference of both my hand is very much visible. what is the reason? can it be brought back to normal size after 7 years of my surgery. which field/dept. of doctor should i consult ? thank you for your time..
Blank
1119363_tn?1330359040
This sounds like lymphedema, which is a buildup of fluid because lymph nodes were removed during your breast surgery.  There are various treatments for lymphedema, that help control and cope with the condition, but there is no cure at this time.  You should see your family doctor, oncologist or surgeon to be evaluated and set up a treatment plan.  

Treatments often include exercises, wrapping your arm or part of your arm, massage to help drainage, wearing a compression sleeve, or pneumatic compression.  As with most conditions, different measures work better for different people.  I hope that you find something that works for you very soon.