Breast Cancer Expert Forum
swollen left armpit

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

swollen left armpit

Last week I noticed my left armpit was swollen and slightly tender to the touch and when I raised my arm up. It is the entire axilla area that is swollen and I have found one tiny pea size bump in the upper back corner of my armpit that is tender to the touch. I saw my OBGYN and she felt it was due to some kind of infection and prescribed antibiotics. After 2 days on them the swelling had gone down and tenderness was gone. I was so relieved. Today, however, (the 3rd day on antibiotics) the swelling is back a bit and the tenderness is back although not as tender as before. This whole episode is scary to me because I had a (very small) squamous cell carcinoma skin cancer 13 months ago. Does the make sense that an infection would cause the swelling to go down after 2 days only to come back the 3rd day? I did have three places on my left arm from under the skin pimples that I had squeezed and were very red and tender. They got better on that second day of antibiotics and I felt that the swelling could have been due to them but why is it back today?? I would appreciate any thoughts or guidence as to anything I can do to further help this situation so I can stop worrying.
Thank You!!
Dear ALY11, Infection could cause swelling in the lymph nodes under the arm, and the swelling may fluctuate a bit as the body fights infection.  Keep your doctor posted as to how you are doing as you complete the course of antibiotics.