swollen lymph nodes which dont hurt
I'm waiting on a mammogram right now to see if my breast lump is suspicious.  Waiting sucks, lol.  But, I started wondering.  My doc. told me that my lump could be a lymph node.  He also asked if it hurt and I said no.  I asked him if that was a cause for concern because I had heard that swollen painless lymph nodes always mean cancer. He said that there are many other reasons for lymph nodes to swell but not hurt.  I'm just curious as to what the other causes could be.  I have fibrocystic breasts and am 23 years old.  I always though infected lymph nodes would hurt.  Can an infected node be painless?  What can the nodes swell with other than cancer and infection?  Thanks for answers.  Good luck and hugs to everyone.
Hi.  I agree with you - waiting sucks. Just be a little patient because coming up with an accurate diagnosis takes time.  

Swollen painless lymph nodes are not specific symptoms for cancer.  Any kind of infection or inflammation in a nearby area can cause lymph nodes to swell. The more common non-cancer causes of swollen painless nodes are as follows:

1.  A resolving bacterial/ viral infection.  The lymph node is still swollen but since the infection is already healing, the node is not painful anymore.

2.  Tuberculosis.

3.  Minor trauma in a nearby area.  Muscle sprain or strain can cause nearby lymph nodes to swell.
Any lymph node in the axilla in an elderly female is provisionally treated as breast cancer unless proved otherwise. This statement just means that investigations are carried in such a manner that we do not miss the cancer.
There are numerous causes for the lymph node enlargement.
1. Infections - Pyogenic
2. Tuberculosis
3.Lymphomas
These arefew to mention.
Let us wait till the reports are released.