tamoxifen vs. radiation therapy
It seems to me that there is a lot more risk in taking tamoxifen for 5 years  -then 5 - 8 weeks of radiation therapy, if that's the case, why would tamoxifen be recommended over radiation?
I wasn't aware that Tamoxifen was "instead of" but rather "in addition to" Radiation. If I were given this option I would much prefer the Tamoxifen but that is a personal opinion. There are side effects associated with both but they are entirely two different things with two different actions. the Radiation deals with the any cancer that might be present and the Tamoxifen blocks the Estrogen production that might provide an opportunity for an ER+ cancer to recur.

Tamoxifen is hormonal therapy used in patients with hormone receptor positive status and is known to increase the cancer free survival.

Radiation is used generally as an adjuvant to the surgery/chemotherapy/ hormone therapy.

What has your breast specialsit advised and what is your diagnosis?

Let us know if you have any doubts and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.