Breast Cancer Expert Forum
tender nipples

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

tender nipples

I am a male, 44 years old. My nipples and the tissue under them are very tender and sore. I have seen my Dr. and a breast Dr. and everyone says nothing to worry about, but I am. This has been going on since last February and is very unsettling. What could this be and who should I see next. Randy
Dear randi44, Male breast cancer is rare, but one out of every 150 cases of breast cancer involves a man, usually in men over 60 years old. Over the internet it is difficult to say what might be causing your symptoms, they are not symptoms usually associated with breast cancer.  They need to be evaluated in context of history and physical examination.  
randi---please find a doctor(s) who will do further physical examinations and get you the answers you need.  Do not rule out breast cancer as a cause, just because you are male. Just this year I was told by two consecutive doctors that I should not worry about the lump I found in my 62 year old male breast as being cancerous..  Thankfully, each one did refer me on to another doctor for second opinions until my surgeon removed the lump. He too said for me not to worry since the lesion since it did not look like cancer to him when he operated.  But five days later the pathology report said otherwise.   Mastectomy followed and chemo and chemo is now underway for me,  but at least I now know what was causing the lump and discomfort.  I wish you good luck with this.