thick white nipple discharge
I am 23 years old.I have had a thick/creamy white discharge from one nipple for about four or five years. When i squeeze the nipple a small amount comes out then no more.By the next day if i squeeze it again there is more.The nipple that the discharge comes out of is flatter/more inverted than the other one, but it has always been that way.Every time i got my annual Pap exam i brought it to the Dr.'s attention and was told it was fine. I have been on birth control pills for seven years. I recently got my annual at a new practice and this time they wanted to do tests. I had my prolactin levels tested(normal), an ultrasound(didn't find anything abnormal, no cysts),and they took some of the discharge and tested it(no abnormal cells, although they didn't say exactly WHAT the discharge is). I thought that meant everything was fine, but today i was told i should get a galactagram. Im not sure if that is necessary since everything came back ok. This seems very invasive and i want to make sure it is absolutely necessary. any advice?
Nipple discharge is of less concern when it is produced by stimulation (squeezing) than if it were spontaneous. It can also be almost any color or consistancy. when the nipple is stimulated a message is sent to the brain and usually some discharge is the result. I tend to agree with you about the further investigation since all the tests up to this point have been negative. The fact that all this has been done by a different Dr. than you had before may account for the recommendation. You might have a serious discussion and ask them straight out "why is this necessary?". If you have doubts or concerns then by all means make them known and even get a second opinion if necessary.  We always have the right to accept or refuse any recommendation of tests or treatment.  I would suggest that you stop squeezing the nipple which will only produce more discharge and see if it stops.    Regards ....