Breast Cancer Community
to Dr.'s or anyone else
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

to Dr.'s or anyone else

I just received my pathology report today and I am extremely confused,  Not with the results but with something the pathologist said, but not sure if what was written was from the surgeon's notes;   I had a open surgical biopsy with wire localization, the path report said that "when the wire was touched it fell out"  then went on to proceed with the results of the testing of tissue.  I am confused, does the wire always go with the tissue to the pathologist or does the surgeon severe the wire and send it along with the tissue.  The result was benign, but now I am confused iand upset that if it fell out during the tissue removal, what are the changes that the surgeon did not get the correct tissue sample.  I am happy that it was benign, but I can't imagine why we would have to go thru the process of wire localization to inform the surgeon where the calcifications are if when it is touched it falls out.  If it is normal to send the wire along with the tissue I'm ok with that, but why would they send it along with the tissue sample.  The wire localization procedure was the most difficult part of the process and if it did in fact fall out when the surgeon touched it, why would they proceed with just taking out tissue without fully knowing that they were taking the calcified tissue.  Thank you for any advice you can give me.  Also, as a follow up, I had my surgery on the 6th and have to wait 20 days to have the sutures removed, is that normal?  If the surgeon is going on vacation, why couldn't her nurse remove the stitches.  Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.