toe discoloration
Can toe discoloration be caused by Taxol nerve damage?  I haven't found any information about it.  I completed chemotherapy a year ago & suffer mild fingertip & toe discomfort.  Abot 5 months after completing treatment on of my toes turned purple & sensitive.  At first I wasa treated with antibiotics which did not help.  My drs said it was nerve damage. Another 5 months have passed & the condition persists.  Sometimes the toe looks ok, other times the tip is inflamed, & at it's worst the whole toe is purple.  Sometimes 1 or 2 other toes are similarly discolored.  Does this sound like nerve damage due to chemo?
Hi there.

It is common for fingernails to have purple creases during any type of chemotherapy, not only with Taxol.  However, the entire toe, with the skin and all, turning purple may not be entirely explained by Taxol neuropathy.  Neuropathy can affect the blood vessels in these areas that can give rise to that purple color.  However, if you have other vascular problems or predisposing conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes, then the blood flow to that area should be properly assessed.  I suggest you discuss this options with your doctor, and ask him regarding tests for vascular patency (like doppler studies if applicable).  Other predisposing factors to vascular problems should also be addressed (cholesterol, diabetes, etc.).

Regards and God bless.