Breast Cancer Expert Forum
too young for mammograms??

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

too young for mammograms??

I am only 25 but my mom's mother (my maternal grandmother) died from breast cancer. It lead to her bones and killed her, my mom was only 12 and I think my grandma was in her late 30s...Then my paternal great-grandmother had a double masectomy. She is no longer alive now but it wasn't breat cancer that killed her, she died peacefully in her sleep. She didn't have to have any radiation or chemo.

I have asked about having mammograms done but my doctor told me that they wouldn't even do one on me because I am too young....I had asked my doctor in the place we lived before we moved here and he told me that they generally start doing them 10 years before the family member was diagnosed...meaning that my grandmother was diagnosed when she was like 35 or so...according to that I should be having one this year...but like I said my current family doctor won't even send in the referral, he said that they would probably just send it back because I am too young...he also told me that I am not at a big risk because it wasn't my mother or sisters that had breast cancer. I live in Canada, and have provincial health coverage, in order for my provincial health plan to cover mammograms, I need to be referred by my family doctor. Is there anything I can do, or should I even be pushing this matter? Thank you for taking the time to read my questions.
Dear Adevotee:  There is little value to mammography in very young women.  The density of the breast tissue tends to cause great difficulty in interpretation.  Further, family risk generally applies to first degree relatives (mother, sister, daughter).  You might gain more from a discussion with a genetic counselor who can help determine your risk and make appropriate screening recommendations.  
Thank you for the response. My husband and I are ttc, so I will ask my OB/GYN what he thinks about this and go from there. Again Thank you.
Not to disagree with the response to your question, but I was under the impression that mammograms are to be done 10 years before your mother was diagnosed.  I am 31 and I  had my baseline mammogram last August.  My mother was 44 when she was diagnosed with her breast cancer.  If digital mammography machines have a good tech doing the mammogram, then the digital images help see thru the dense tissue better than film-screen mammography.
I had my first mammograms in my mid-20's due to lumps in my breast.  Having dense breasts makes it harder to read the mammograms but not impossible.  It helps if you schedule the mammo shortly after your period as your breasts tend to be denser in the week or two before your period.  You should feel comfortable with the plan for evaluating your need (or not) for a mammo.  Talk with your ob/gyn and if that doesn't put your mind to rest, see if you can find a breast clinic in your area where you can be evaluated.  P.S. what is "ttc".
Trying to conceive.