Breast Cancer Community
tram flap reconstruction and abdominal pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I had tram flap reconstruction in 2007.  I have been having abdominal issues related to execess gas when I eat a meal with a heavy fat consentration.  Last night I experienced such awful pain. I had an abdominal CAT scan yesterday, but the contrasts used never affected me, so I don't think that is the issue.  I did however eat a cheeseburger and fries in the afternoon (i know I shouldn't have, and I won't do it again).  I had diareha about an hour after eating.  Once it eneded I felt fine.  Now on to the pain I experienced.  Since I really don't have much sensation in my abdomen where the incision is, I truly don't feel pain there.  This pain I experienced last night seem to follow the path of my trans flap.  It started at the bottom of my rib cage, went up between my ribs under my breasts and into the reconstructed breast.  It was the most awful pain I ever experienced.  It lasted about two hours.  I was on the verge of going to the emergency room.  I had an awful taste in my mouth as well.  My question is this - is it possible or has anyone every experienced abdominal pain taking on the route of the tram flap reconstruction?  I will find out the results of the CAT scan next week, but will also be following up on this experience with my physician(s).
I am not sure what this pain is but you really do need to see someone about it. A lot of TRAM flap reconstructions have mesh inserted into the stomach where they muscle was removed. These meshes cause A LOT of trouble for A LOT of people. Another big issue for women who've had this procedure done are hernias. But I am concerned about you having an awful taste in your mouth and the pain traveling up the tunnel the muscle was moved into up to and under the reconstructed breast. That just doesn't sound good to me at all.

Best wishes.
I too have been having abdominal pain since my tram flap in June 2010.  I have had a CT scan, ultra sound and endoscopy done, all appeared normal.  My plastic surgeon sent me to a Gastroenterologist and because of the taste issue you have you might want to see one too so they can evaluate your stomach and digestive process.  The gastroenterologist felt strongly that the mesh is the root cause of my abdominal pain and said I should have it removed and replaced with a bio mesh (cadaver) because it is more natural than the plastic one I now have.  I couldn't imagine having another surgery and am now seeing a surgeon who is giving me weekly abdominal injections of lidocaine and marcaine, and just yesterday prescribed Nuerontin to me.  The surgeon says that I have nerve damage from the surgery that nerve damage combined with the scaring in the abdomen and mesh area is what he thinks is the cause of my intolerable pain.  It makes sense, I mean we had our belly lifted completely up from our torso and then stretched, manipulated and replaced; it is a very invasive procedure.  I took one Nuerontin yesterday and it has reduced some of the pain.  Today I will take two and tomorrow three and then continue that regimen for 6 months.  I hope I have given you some helpful information, from one tram flap patient to another I know what you're going through, it's difficult and at times I wonder what have done to myself by having this surgery, will my life ever be normal again.  It is indeed a very difficult surgery to recover from.  I am on my 5th month of recovery and am SLOWLY noticing improvement.  Wishing you a happy and healthy day.
A related discussion, After Tram flap was started.