Breast Cancer Community
treating pleomorphic calcifications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

treating pleomorphic calcifications

I am so confused about the mammogram results listing as BI-RADS category 4: suspicious abnormailty, biopsy should be considered:  View reveal pleomorphic calcifications in the upper outer quadrant of the left breast.  measures approximately 4mm.

I am scheduled for a biopsy on the 10th.  I have been given no information regarding the type and manner of the biopsy.  I am concerned about the procedure and the percentages that they obtain tissue from the calcifications' area and not the tissues surrounding it.  I do have implants.  I have been given no communciation regarding what is the procedure (if any) on treating the pleomorphic calcifications.  Is there no treatment on the calcifications in the biopsy comes back benign?  What does the "presence of diffuse suspicious mircocalcifications" mean?  I wish that I had more information regarding all of this, as I am so confused and there is no information on line about what the procedures are for treatment of calcifications, I would assume there are no known treatment paths, or they would be listed.  Does one have to have all of the calcifications removed during biopsy?  Please advise with any information anyone has about this diagnosis.  Thankyou.

Well, first and foremost i would ask you to calm down. It is important that you think rationally, question your doctors about what's happening and discuss details about the reports you get - and all this is only possible if you are relaxed and not anxious.

Now, about your report, a BIRADS category 4 means the radiologist is suspecting that the lesion in question 'could be' malignant. All such lesions have to undergo further investigations to come to a definite diagnosis.

About the terms used to describe your lesion; diffuse means spread out or not localised or not clustered. Not to raise your hope at this time , but, a clustering more so points towards a malignant possibility.

Microcalcifications means tiny deposits of calcium in the breast tissue. These could be both malignnat and benign and further investigations are required for a confirmed diagnosis.

If the lesion comes out benign- a conservative or non surgical management would be advisable. You would need to carry out regular breast self exams and follow up with your doctor periodically for clinical examinations and 6 monthly or annual mammograms.

But, the most important thing - you need to talk to your doctor about the type of biopsy procedure they are planning in your case. There are several procedures - needle aspiration, sterotactic biopsy, excision biopsy etc - details can only be given once you find out which one are you going through.

If the lesion is benign or you are not comfortable with it - you could ask the doctor for an excisional biopsy.

Do let us know if you have any more doubts.
Do call up your doctor and talk to him in detail about this.
Get back to us about how you are doing.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Thank you for your response.  It is hard to know how upset you are until someone reminds you.  Here I thought I was calm and logical, funny how high stress can come through with your words. Thank you and I will try very hard to remain calm.  This website is a godsend and I thank all of you doctors out there that are helping us women go thru this trying time.
Dr. Do you think that taking unopposed estrogen could raise the possibility of calcifications showing up on a mammogram?  I had been taking estropipate 0.75 mg prescribed by PCP for ten months;  went to see an OBGYN, she said that medication should have been taken with a progesteron (sp?), she said to stop taking immediately, she scheduled a US for uterus and the mammogram that came back bad.   The ultrasound came back just fine.  Just wondering if they always check tissue sample for homorne recepter status when checking for cancer?  Hoping that is the reason for the calcifications and that now that I am not taking them anymore, the calcifications were just a side-effect from too much hormones.  Also hoping this does not sound crazy, and I am making a very good effort to remain calm and I actually feel alittle better about all of this.

It is indded nice to hear that you making effort to remain calm and handle all this in a mature way.

Breast calcifications are benign in most cases and malignant only rarely. But all calcifications are investigated for a confirmed diagnosis so that malignancy can be ruled out.

Calcifications (benign) can be caused due to the following reasons -
- calcifications in a dilated milk duct.
- calcium deposits in non cancerous cysts.
- post traumatic fat necrosis calcifications.
- mastitis.
- skin calcifications.
- radiotherapy.
- calcifications in a fibroadenoma.

Estrogen is known to cause breast pain, breast tenderness, breast lumps and breast discharge as a side effect. Whether it is responsible for causing breast calcifications is not known definitively.

Discuss with your breast specialist about this in detail and see what he/she has to say about it.

Like i have been telling you earlier, it is important to realx and not worry. Take the help of your family and friends. It is essential that you take each day as it comes, live evry moment. Simply worrying and getting anxious will only make things difficult to understand for you yourself.

Do let us know if you have any doubts and also keep us posted about your progress.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.