ultra sound
Hi, today I went for my second mammogram and ultrasound.In the ultrasound it was found a small lump or spot about 5mm that had like radiating edges.Now I am scheduled for a biopsy and a scan.Needless to say that I am so worried!! What does it mean when the lump has radiating edges?? could it be something other than cancer? The lump is  situated towards the center of the chest at 3 o'clock position..I have no other spot or lump anywhere else.From the ultra sound can they detect if  the lump is cancerous or only the biopsy can determine that? Please put my mind at ease!! Thank you
No, neither Mammogram nor Ultrasound can determine whether a lump is due to cancer or is benign. Only a biopsy of some type can tell for sure. Some lumps are smooth and some have irregular edges. No way to speculate though; it's still something that the biopsy will determine. There will be another wait after the biopsy ... probably 4 to 7 days before the studies are completed and the final report is issued. Try to be as patient as you can which isn't easy I know but it's necessary. Regards ....
Thank you japdip.One more question.. star burst in a lump means the same as irregular edges?.Thank you again for your time.God bless.
Hi there!

I'm Chris and I'm the community leader for the breast cancer forum.  I read your post and wanted to offer my support.  It can be sooo difficult when you've had initial tests and you are waiting for the next step or results.  Take it one day at a time and assume everything is ok until you know otherwise.  Going down a lot of "what if" roads is exhausting and not productive!  I've seen many, many women come and go through here once they've gotten their benign diagnoses!  That's why we're here.  And for those who've gotten a cancer diagnosis, they've stayed here and benefited from the friendships and support they receive when they come here.  Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing if you wish.  I wish you only best of luck in the upcoming days.

Warmly,

Chris
Thank you so much for your support! I really appreciate your kind words.I will surely let you know what's coming next.Now I have to wait for a call from the hospital for my biopsy.Yes, the waiting is nerve wrecking,but I'll do my best to be positive and patient.Thank you Chris and God Bless you.