Breast Cancer Expert Forum
unexplained bruising

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

unexplained bruising

I am 26 years old and in the past 3 years have had some breast problems. I have had to many mammo's to count and 3 biopsies to figure out what a lump is. My last mammo was in Oct of 2002. Now over the last 2 to 3 month's I have noticed some bruising that I can't explain. Only they arn't really bruises they look more like blood blisters or just blood that has come to the surface. The most recent one is about 1/2 in wide and about 3 in long on the under side of my right breast. Should I be concerned? Should I mention it to my Dr? I am a little scared. Breast cancer runs rampid in my family. Please Help.
Dear dolphingirl1224:  At 26, breast cancer is not common.  The discoloration you describe sounds more like a bruise.  Do you wear underwire bras? Could this be putting pressure on the area in question?  If you are worried, you shoudl have your doctor check it out but this does not sound like a typical presentation for cancer.
As you have found out, mammograms in women in their early 20's are often fairly useless, because the glandular tissures are so dense that you can't tell one shadow from another. As to the skin things you describe: it's highly unlikely that it would have anything to do with cancer, from your description. However, since it's impossible to diagnose a visual thing online, it seems like a good idea to let your doctor know. Meanwhile, it sounds pretty harmless.
Thank you for your quick response. I have made an appointment with my Dr. Thank you again.