Breast Cancer Community
very sharp pains in my right breast and nipple area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

the the last few weeks ive had severe pain in my right side of my right breast and also in my nipple area, its very painful and keeps me awake. all types of cancer runs in my family and this is very concerning to me. please help
1 Comment
Breast pain (called mastalgia) is the most common breast-related complaint among women; nearly 70% of women experience breast pain at some point in their lives. Breast pain may occur in one or both breasts or in the underarm (axilla) region of the body. The severity of the pain varies from woman to woman; approximately 15% of women require treatment. Breast pain is not normally associated with breast cancer, but the causes for this pain could be many, like hormonal changes in the body and   also including pectoral muscle injury that can happen with certain exercises or arm overuse.Since you have a family history of cancer, I would advise you to have your Family Doctor examine your breasts to check for lumps that might need further investigation,or to prescribe some medication to ease the pain.Vitamins and Evening Primrose could also help but ask your doctor first.
In the meantime,try to avoid caffeine (chocolate,coffee,tea  colas etc) as it might increase the pain you are experiencing.
Take care and best wishes...