Breast Cancer Community
what should i do next

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

what should i do next

i have had annual mammos since 2004, each of which showed numerous microcalcifications.  My most recent mammo showed a cluster of 10-12 microcalcifications. I have never had a biopsy and one has not been suggested. Do you think this could be cancer?
1 Comment
Microcalcifications are rarely found to be cancerous. What would be of a concern would be the breast tissue surrounding the calcifications because the fact that you have these formations might suggest that something within that breast tissue is triggering their growth.
So, in answer to your question... statistically, it's unlikely that the calcifications are of a cancerous origin. But, it is an abnormality; and as such, should be monitored and, ordinarily they are biopsied.
I'm a little surprised that a biopsy hasn't been mentioned, at least as an option, in order to determine the nature of the growths. Then, again... it's likely that your mammograms haven't showed the kind of changes that would alarm and thereby, warrant a biopsy. Anyway, if you feel that you want to opt for a biopsy... for peace-of- mind and to know, with certainty, whether or not the calcifications are benign, discuss it with your doctor. Just because a biopsy hasn't been mentioned doesn't mean that you can't bring it up and ask for one... it is a choice that you have.
Take care!