what's the difference
What is the difference between needle biopsy and core needle biopsy?  Are there particular situations when the drs. use one over the other.?  How do they determine which one you need and why?
A fine needle biopsy FNA is performed under local anesthesia by a surgeon or radiologist using a fine needle to extract fluid from a cyst or cells from a solid lesion.Several insertions are usually required to obtain enough tissue samples.If the lump cannot be felt,ultrasound may be utilized to help the physician guide the needle towards the lesion.

A core needle biopsy is similar to the fine needle aspiration,but the needle is larger.Three to six insertions are needed to obtain an adequate sample of tissue.Patients may feel some pressure but should not feel actual pain.A core needle biopsy is not accurate in patients with very small lumps.

Surgeon/radiologist decisions about the procedure differs depending of the type of lesion the patient has,the amount of tissue to be removed and probably other factors too.I hope I've been of some help. Best wishes.