Breast Cancer Expert Forum
white pulp-like substance after squeezing breast lump

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I am 23 years old and am under medication (prednisolone) for SLE, a condition I was diagnosed with 13 years ago. My grandmother had a mastectomy a few years ago due to breast cancer. A month ago, I discovered a lump on my breast, under my nipple. It is small, smooth, and appears to be a lymph node although I am not very sure. I squeezed it and the skin broke. A clear discharge flowed down. I dabbed it and it stopped. I put a plaster over it. After a week, I discovered that the broken area around the lump had turned white. When I pressed on it, a white pulpy substance came out. It is not liquid and is a soft mass. If I don't touch it, nothing comes out. However it seems to keep continuously coming out everytime I press it. The broken skin does not heal. I have not seen a doctor. There is no pain. I do not know if this is malignant. Please advise.
Dear closet,  Without being able to examine this, ask questions etc. it is impossible to say what this is.  It is best to have it checked out by your doctor.  You may want to start with your rheumatologist as it is possible that it is related to the lupus.
It may be just a coincidence, but I recall having something like a pimple or an infected milk duct in my right nipple a long time ago, maybe 30 or 35 years (I'm 50).  From then on I had a spot on my right nipple that appeared to be an extremely tiny hole (think sewing needle size).  If I squeezed the nipple, a soft, white pulpy mass like you described would come out in a long, string-like shape that looked toothpaste being squeezed from a teeny, tiny tube.  I always thought it was just natural body oils building up in my nipple somewhat like a blackhead would be caused by oils in my pores.  I thought it didn't turn black like a blackhead because I wore a bra for so many hours a day, it was in a warm, moist area (especially during the summer) and didn't get a chance to dry out at the surface like a blackhead would.  Also, when I was close to having my period, both breasts would be very tender and if I squeezed the either breast, a greenish-yellow watery substance would come out of the milk ducts.  I would sometimes squeeze some of that out because it seemed to take the pressure off.  I showed a couple of doctors, but they said it was unusal, but nothing bad because both breasts did the same thing.  Last January I was DX with IDC in the right breast, with 2 tumors, the largest one being just above and almost directly aligned with the nipple.  Please have your spot checked out.  I wonder if my little bump was the beginning of cancer and I would like for you (or anyone else, for that matter) to discover yours much quicker than I did or prevent it altogether.  Best of luck, kiddo.
A related discussion, Hole in left breast, pulp-like white (pimple?) was started.