Breastfeeding Community
3 week old baby not pooping...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

3 week old baby not pooping...

My 3 weel old breastfed baby hasnt pooped for 4 days! She frequently strains, her face gets red, she squirms, kicks, and cries for a little bit, but nothing. She went 3 days last week and finally had 3 big diapers in 2 days (they were like mustatd, more runny than seedy) and now it's been 4 days. She is eating about every 3 or 4 hours and seems to be getting enough, and i am pumping a little bit too.   Our dr prescribed a glycerine suppository, but im looking for other ideas...?
Tags: 3 weeks, not pooping, constipation, breastfed, Baby, Pooping, Gas
I would hold off on the suppositories! Your pediatrician should know that it is not uncommon for breastfed babies to go for days between bowel movements. If the poops she does have are like you describe (by the way, you describe perfect, healthy poops) then the suppository is not needed.
I suspect there are 2 things at play. The first is the frequency- it is normal for breastfed babies to go longer between poops because breastmilk is highly digestible. There is much less biproduct than formula fed babies, so there's less poop. Also, because the stools are so lose and soft like you describe, the baby often doesn't need to pass it.

You describe your baby squirming and straining. I suspect that is another common phenomena- newborn gas! My little ones would spend 24/7 farting when they were the same age as your little one. My first was worse than the second, and I even have hilarious video footage of one of her morning fart sessions. My LC said this fades after about 2 months when their digestive tracts ature, and she was right. This probably has nothing to do with her poop "problem." There are some things you can do to help with this. When she is doing this, you can gently pump her legs up towards her belly to get the gas moving. Make sure you burp her thoroughly. You can try simethicone- an otc infant gas remedy (brand name Mylicon, but generic is just as good). We found this helped a lot. If this doesn't give any relief, you can start to look at your diet. Some moms find that when they eat certain foods, their baby is gassier.

Honestly, short of your pediatrician's advice, it sounds to me like you are doing a fantastic job and your little one is healthy. Of course, I am not telling you to go against your doctor's advice.  However, I would be curious to know how knowledgeable he is about breastfeeding and breastfed babies since what he did seems to go against most of what one reads abut breastfed babies. You may want to find out in case you need support in the future.
If you are using mylecon be careful!  It doesn't do it with all babies but with my little one it constipated her terribly! I used gripe water instead and it was a godsend.  Its all natural.  You can get it at walmart or Cvs.   Good luck.
Yes, Gripe Water is as old as the hills and fine for colic. Nice taste too.
:)
If you're exclusively breastfeeding it's not uncommon for breastfed babies to go for days without faecal movement, I remember my eldest daughter went 11 days without a movement. When I called the paediatrician I was told that some breastfeed babies go without pooping for up to 14 days, as they absorb all of the breast milk.

WIth my newborn I notcied she was constipated by her cramping and she had gone three days without a faecal movement (my eldest was fine and didn't show these signs). So what I was told by my mother-in-law was to measure her tempearaure with a rectal thermometer and move it around slightly. Lo and behold everything came out and my little one was happy and relieved :-) Just a tip. Good luck.
Thanks mamas!
3 week old baby is not pooping it's been 2 days and no poop, he cry's alot for me to feed him he eats about every 20 to 30 min's. had him curcumsized 4 days ago and the ring feel off but the string is still there, can this have any thing to do with him not pooping can anyone help me please