Breastfeeding Community
5 month old not drinking breastmilk properly

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

My DS is 5 months old and weighs 14.65lbs. Of late, he does not feed beastmilk properly. He still does not have any fixed schedule to feed. Though I try to feed him every 3 hrs, he is nt interested and just cries if I try to force him. And even if he feeds, it wis never more than 15 mins and just feeds from one side at a time. Also, some days he goes on without any feed for 5 - 6 hrs even during the day. I am not feedking him anything other than breast milk. Please give your suggestions on how can I encurage him to feed more. I am scared that my milk supply might go down because od this irregukar schedule.
Is he still gaining weight?  Is his doctor worried about his weight?  It seems within the normal range to me (on the low side of normal, but still within the normal range, but this also depends on his height) - he might just be a small baby.  

I would not force him to eat.  Let him eat when he is hungry.  Babies get more efficient at eating as they age.  It is not uncommon for an efficient feeder to eat 5 ounces in 5-6 minutes.  My 3 month old eats in less than 10 minutes now.  So don't worry if eats in less than 15.  Also, he should be eating 30-35 ounces total in a day - it matters less what he gets at each feed.  He may be eating more each feed (7-8 ounces) and therefore feeding less often throughout the day.  Let him feed on demand for a week and track his weight.  If he is still gaining and still has his normal amount of wet and poppy diapers, then he and your milk supply are fine.  
Once the infant gets over his feeding frenzy, he eats less frequently. The new parent thinks something is wrong with him. You might try adding some foods (I generally started them at about six months) but if he is not hungry he will reject them.

Is he otherwise healthy and bright-eyed. Is he alert and active? If the answer is new, don't worry.
He sounds fine to me! His weight is fine and he does not have to eat from each side and does nto have to have a schedule at all! breastfed babies feed on demand not on schedule and breast milk has a high calorie and is made for baby and how abby burns it off, it is just right! The less baby eats the more calories it will have to go longer and is more concentrated with nutrients and anti illness properties ( not sure how else to say that one;)  ) So you are doing fine and he does can go that long during the day it is fine! Also baby does not need anyhting but breastmilk till age one!!! The world health organization says for abby to nurse till age to or beyond!

What have you been told to worry or think that abby needs a schedule or set time to eat? I feed my baby only on one side at a time and there is no difference if baby does that or two sides, breastfeeding is supply and demand, you body will make the right ammount what baby needs as long as you are letting baby eat when they want, even for comfort! When your baby hits 6 months then he will go through a growth spurt and eat more often and maybe for longer times to build your supply up then once more milk has come in usually in 3-4 days he will go back to eating less often and like he is now. As long as baby is wetting and pooing good and making all milestones like rolling over, holding head up etc... there is NO cause for concern!

Good job mama for exclusivly breastfeeding and sounds like baby is doing great! Also if you look at the world health organization web site they have a height and weight chart for breastfed babies, they gain different then forula fed babies do, they slack off around 6 months well gain slower that is, also formula fed babies hold water weight from the formula, breasfed babies do not hold water.

your doing fine! And you can offer babyfood after 6 months but it is purely for learning not nutrician. Babies need their nutrician from breastmilk or formula till age one.

If you offer food give a food for a week to make sure no allergies

only a teaspoon the first few days around the same time after they have breastfed not before or in the middle.

Then baby can eat up to 2 tablespoons of food at a feeding and up to 2 times a day up tp age 9 months, but once a day for the first month

then from age 9-12 months up to 5 tablespoons a day up to 3x a day.

Feeding baby after nursing inssures baby is not over eating food   and also that your milk supply does not drop and breastmilk or formula still remains babies sole source of nutrition.
He sounds just fine to me.  Since he's 5 months if your supply goes down it will not be too hard to bring it back up, supply dips are the biggest concern in the first 3 months as that's when you establish your supply.

My little girl is 9 weeks and not eating much at all, but she is growing and healthy.  If you are worried about your supply, try pumping a few times and freeze the milk so if you go out or something you have some one hand.