7 month old problems
My dd just turned 7 months old. Since we've tried starting solids at 5 months (slow start), we've had nothing but troubles. A couple weeks ago she was so constipated that she had blood with her poop. :( We've talked to the doc and she said to really water down her food to basically soupy and use apple juice if I have to. I still breastfeed and during the day it's every 2 hours and for the last 2 weeks every 2 hours at night! I'm exhausted from having a baby with tummy probs. Even with prunes and such during the day, she still poops about every 2-3 days!
I've thought about forgetting solids all together for a while and maybe just waiting and doing baby led weaning. I'm not experienced in this since my son started solids at 4 months. The problem is that she LOVES eating the food when I give it to her.
I'm at a loss and would love some sleep. I'm wondering if she's eating more at night to just keep up. Before this she was sleeping 4-5 hour stretches at times.
If you are giving her baby cereal I would stop that for the time being. The extra iron in the cereal can bind baby up. I'd also stay away from bananas. I would try adding yogurt into her diet, its good for digestion. Hope some of these things help.
My son was super constipated as an infant, and one doctor told me apple juice, it was actually the apple juice causing constipation. In some babies it will relieve constipation, in some it makes it worse. What really worked for him was white grape juice, or prune juice, maybe try that instead of the apple. I also agree with the yogurt idea, they sell infant yogurt you can buy. I would try to keep up with the solids though. Good luck!
I largely baby led weaned my second and third child. I did the whole rice cereal and puree thing with my first and had feeding issues and constipation for many years.
Both my baby led weaned kids ate very little until 8 months old and mostly nursed. Instead of rice both had a couple of tablespoons of baby oatmeal cereal (which I spoon fed them) mixed with expressed milk from six months, from seven moths I offered small pieces of soft cooked veg and fruit and small pieces of good quality meats. My girl loves to eat blueberries (cut in half) and these sure do make sure she isn't constipated!!!
If it is the cereal giving her the problems, don't give her cereal. Babies don't need it and there are much better foods available.
Thanks all. I have already taken the rice cereal out for a long while and have stopped the oats since her bad bout of constipation just in case it was a reaction from them.

So far she's only had avacado, sweet potato, peaches, prunes, peas and that's about it.

I don't think all this helps since she's teething too. Both her bottom teeth are coming in at the exact same time!
I would just make sure that whatever solids you are giving her, promote going  potty.  Peaches, prunes, green veggies, etc. promote that.  Bananas are GREAT for diarrhea because they will actually cause constipation, so I wouldn't give those right now, and as others suggested, I wouldn't give cereal right now either.  Iron will cause constipation as well.
Update! She has been fine with just fruits and veggies. I gave her a tad bit of cereal last week and she was slightly uncomfortable and while trying to poo. It's the cereal and I see why....they have 100% iron in them!! So I'm grinding my own oats and mixing them with the baby cereals.
Yay!  Glad she is doing better!!